Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How to replace a distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Default How to replace a distributor?

Howdy. My 1993 Civic 1.6 will not start. It will turn over but wont fire. It does not have any spark. I'm not 100% certian but I think it's the distributor.

My question is: do I have to worry about screwing up the timing if i remove the distributor? It look like just 3 or 4 bolts and a few plugs. Anyone have a diagram? Can someone provide a breif step by step process.

Also what is the main relay and where can I find it on my car?

Thanks

Old 09-17-2005, 08:17 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: How to replace a distributor?

your distributor is 3 bolts and a couple plugs. when you put on the new one eep the cap off of it so you can turn it to line up with the cam. once its seated in fully then tighten down the 3 bolts and center the bolts in the slots. that will be a good safe place to have it so then you can take it to someone to adjust the timing correctly

Old 09-17-2005, 08:51 AM

Thanks alot for the information. I'm really hard up for cash and this information is invaluable.

Wouldn't the ECU automatically adjust the timing for me?

Old 09-17-2005, 01:59 PM
HCF Member

it only adjusts the advance. it doesnt do much for the actual timing of the engine. you have to set the distributor right when the car is at idle. the distributor is the only think telling the ecu the position on the engine so if the distributor is off then the ecu will be off too

Old 09-18-2005, 07:24 AM

the car is back and running guys. I replaced the whole distributor. this was not hard at all, except those two stupid plugs. not sure why i worrried about it too much. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:04 AM
HCF Member

its just fear of the unknown. the more you do things the more things you will feel better about doing. glad to hear its running again, good job

Old 08-31-2007, 11:10 AM
HCF Member

So could I remove mine and change the bearings?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:13 PM
HCF Member

no, there are no bearings available for the general consumer. you will have to get another one if there is something wrong with your bearings. i know of a couple places that have them sort of cheap if you need

Old 08-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Officially, the bottom half of the distributor doesn't come apart. So you are on your own finding bearings, seals, etc. for it.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:45 PM
HCF Member

Oh alright, I found a kit from the UK with the shaft, bearing, seal, but for as much as that\s going to cost plus get put in, I think I'd rather get a new one. What kinda price are you talking Phillstubs?

Quick Reply: How to replace a distributor?