Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How to replace the Rear & Front crankshaft seals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:24 PM
HCF Member
Default How to replace the Rear & Front crankshaft seals?

I have a 92 Civic LX with 188,888 miles(automatic) that's leaking oil from somewhere, It's not coming from above the oil pan & it's mostly on the driver's side of the oil pan. I plan on getting this oil gasket/seal set: http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...13402192engase

I know how to replace my oil pan gasket(thank you google), but I can't really find a link on how to replace the rear & front crankshaft seals, I don't even know where they are located exact or what they look like. I googled & googled for a DIY or a youtube video of it but NO DICE

Does anyone know the steps it takes to replace those seals(and it's location please). If you know a link that google don't know then please post it..it would help me alot..thank you in advance!

P.S: In the link I posted above, it said it's a "conversion" type set. What does that mean?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

get some of that oil seal in a bottle i've had good luck with that stuff put in about 2 quarts

Old 01-30-2011, 12:45 AM
HCF Member

Hmmm..those are for Temporary fixes. I know...you're gonna say it lasted this long but nothing can replace parts & components.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The crankshaft seals are located at the ends of the crankshaft where it comes out of the engine. They allow the shaft to rotate while sealing the oil inside the engine. The names "rear" and "front" are holdovers from the days when all cars were rear drive. The end of the crankshaft that connects to the transmission was actually the "rear". The other end is the "front".

For the front seal, take apart as if replacing the timing belt (you should also plan to replace the timing belt at this point, if it has oil on it that is bad). Slide the timing belt sprocket off of the crankshaft. Now you can see the seal. You can pry the old seal out carefully or take the oil pump cover (part which holds the seal) off and push the seal out on the bench. That I think requires also removing the oil pan.

Installing a new seal is just to put oil on it and push it in by tapping with a hammer, but you have to be very careful to push evenly and only on the outside edge using a piece of pipe or, naturally, a seal installer. It is easy to damage a new seal during installation and have it leak.

The rear seal is the same concept but you need to remove the transmission and flywheel.

Last edited by mk378; 01-30-2011 at 04:49 AM.