Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

i blew something but what is it

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 AM
HCF Member
Default i blew something but what is it

omg, i totally messed up my car.

this just happend this morning.i am soo stupid.

can someone tell me what i need to replace cause i royally messed my self up.

i reved my new motor too high cause of my idle issue ( i have been having idle issues) and without noticing it i went too high on the rpms.
its not tuned at all and its boosted.
here is the symptoms.
after i reved it very high the car stalled out. i thought it was just he idle acting up again.

-it was very difficult to start up.
-the engine sound like a lawn motor.
-coolant was being shot out of the reservouir. so the radiator and engine went empty by the time i limped home.
-the top radiator hose is much hotter then the bottom hose.-the car wont stay on unless i keep my foot on the gas pedal.

someone told me it might be a blown head gasket.or the thermostat is also gone, but i asked for a new one to be installed by the shop so im not sure if it was or not. so i wont rule out the thermostat is gone.but the temp was fine right before i reved it down the road.

nothing else that is different to my untrained eye would notice.
how do i know if its just the gasket or could it also be a bad piston now?
or valve?

the piston is cp forged pistions
the rods are eagle rods.
supertech valve, springs, and retainers.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: i blew something but what is it

Start by replacing the thermostat (cheap!) and then refilling and bleeding the cooling system (see diagrams below).

Then go from there.

Edit: Was there white or blue smoke in the exhaust? You may want to compression test the cylinders (see forum DIY section).

Name:  picture_1152.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  picture_1153.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  109.0 KB

Old 07-05-2008, 12:48 PM
HCF Member

Who in the right mind builds a bottom end and doesnt bother tuning the engine?

Old 07-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Pete

Who in the right mind builds a bottom end and doesnt bother tuning the engine?

dito.... if the thermostat stuck shut or half shut than most likely your motor would have overheated.... if you where not watching the temp gauge and shut it down before it got to hot the setup could be trashed already...

you got a oil pressure gauge? did it look good if ya had it.... if it droped your bearings are probably all trashed by now which would have put a hard load on the motor seeming to hold ya back.

id say if your also lossing radiator fluid than it could be anything from damaged head to damaged block internaly.
first two, things first drain the oil and if you see radiator fluid, and drain any radiator fluid and if ya see oil you gotta pull the head at least to inspect the guts for damage....

next time dont cheap out! you say you bought all these nice parts but a race car is not built 95% of the way and driven on hard... build it right or park it and keep saving to finish it right so its a safe daily driver setup.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:48 PM

dang, i was wondering the same thing as you guys. If I built my block and/or turbo'd my engine, I would definitely get it tuned.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

just to explain, i wasnt cheaping out. i was going to go to shawn church, who is pretty popular and good at tuning. the reason i have yet to do it was because the shop said to break it in for about 500-1k miles.
trust me i would have tuned it the very next day if i wasnt following the shops advice.

so hence why i have waited. but another reason was that the idle issue i had.

when i look at the piston what am i looking for, damage wise?
if i look at the piston rings what am i looking for?

with all the symptoms would it still be possible that the problem will only be the head gasket?
without being deeper then that? just hopfull wishing right now.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if he said break the motor in since it was new then i woulda sugest you to remove the charge pipe that way it was just NA motor during break in time on the motor...
but alittle late for that now

IMO i would pull the head off the car and inspect the head and valves and look for any cracks in the head and the block. inspect it really good because you dont just want to guess its just the head gasket only to replace it and put it all back together and have the same problem.....
good luck!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Before you pull anything apart, what are the answers to:

1) Was there white or blue smoke in the exhaust before/during/after the catastrophic stall?

and

2) Addiction's suggestions:
ORIGINAL: addiction2bass
...drain the oil and if you see radiator fluid, and drain any radiator fluid and if ya see oil...

Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 PM
HCF Member

to ronJ:
i bought a new thermostat and asked the shop to install it after i dropped it off with him.
he said he would do it. but before i screwed it up today, the temp was just awesome.
could the messed up head gasket cause the temp to go up?
if it does, how does that happen?
also why did my friend ask me if what the temp was on the top hose and the bottom was?

before this, no odd smoke.
just smelled kinda rich from the engine bay. like there was extra fuel burning or not burning.

ill check for smoke tomorrow but as far as i can remember i didnt notice any smoke.
what does that mean if no smoke?
what does it mean if there is smoke?
what does the different colors mean?

should i get a brand new head gasket from honda or do you guys recommend elsewhere?
i need something that is very strong at this point.

also should i get anything else new before i spend a couple of days opening it upopen it up?
i was thinking ill need to pull out he pistons, one by one to inspect them.
if i have a compression leak at this point whats the way to fix it?

Old 07-06-2008, 05:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if it was just the thermostat the motor would have ran fine but the temp would have sky rocketed overheating the motor which is very bad!!!! ive never had one seem to bog down frrom a stuck thermostat...

and before the motor is started up you need to drain the oil and look at it to see if any radiator fluid is in it!!!!! runing a motor with antifreeze mixed with the oil can very quickly destroy every bearing inside the motor!

list to do before ever thinking about starting up the motor...
1. drain oil in one pan,
2. drain antifreeze in another.

if either of them are mixed even with trace ammounts, ya got a more serious problem.

3. pull each spark plug and inspect it..... inspect for any gunk build up on the plug, then check the gap they are set at.

and while the spark plugs are OUT of the motor spin the motor over by hand to ensure that nothing is binding.... so give it about a dozen spins.

all of those can help you determine if its a serious problem or just something small.

ive blown a few motors back in the day. nothing turboed but just NA V8s that i blew up and helped my dad rebuild them back.

Quick Reply: i blew something but what is it