Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a second opinion....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Unhappy I need a second opinion....

So today while trying to fix my rough idling i took apart my IACV in hopes to fix the problem, put it back together with everything hooked up and took it for a little drive. Stopped at a red light and yet again it was idling bad, i then turned on the A/C and this is when from the back of my car i see smoke pouring out of the exhaust. WTF!? What should i do? Take it into honda? Get rid of it? I just put all my money into buying the car so it would be a shame to have to sell it for a lower price then i bought it....

Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 AM
HCF Member

From what I read on here, sounds like a cracked head gasket. take it to honda, pay the 50 dollars and find out whats wrong with it. If its too much sell the car. It could be something cheaper though...

Old 06-16-2011, 09:00 AM

I fixed that problem! Seems as i didnt leave enough time for the cleaner i used on the valve to dry out made it smoke. Now im faced with a even worse problem. Im pretty sure my piston rings are about to go. Havent done a compression check yet but it sounds like oil is getting ontop of the piston and bogging it out until i get in the higher revs and it clears out again. Honda wants 2000 to put a used motor in my car instead of re doing the rings. Any more opinions? The last guy who had this car started ricing it out, lowering kit, headers, cold air, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, but its a automatic, if im going to sink big money into something id rather it a manual that i can strap my turbo kit onto.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 AM
HCF Member

Get a manual then move the mods over.. IMO

Old 06-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 95turbocivic
I fixed that problem! Seems as i didnt leave enough time for the cleaner i used on the valve to dry out made it smoke. Now im faced with a even worse problem. Im pretty sure my piston rings are about to go. Havent done a compression check yet but it sounds like oil is getting ontop of the piston and bogging it out until i get in the higher revs and it clears out again. Honda wants 2000 to put a used motor in my car instead of re doing the rings. Any more opinions? The last guy who had this car started ricing it out, lowering kit, headers, cold air, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, but its a automatic, if im going to sink big money into something id rather it a manual that i can strap my turbo kit onto.
If the previous owner put in bigger injectors, which injector were installed? Is there any type of tuning done? If not, switch them out with stock immediately. The ECU is thinking the injectors are the stock size and spraying accordingly. Bigger injectors may spray too much if the ecu is thinking they are smaller, thus the possibility of the motor bogging down. That will require minor tuning.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Might be valve seals, not rings.

Do a compression check, then do a leakdown check.