Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

IACV and throttle cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 07:07 AM
HCF Member
Default IACV and throttle cleaning.

Hi all.
My honda which has a D14Z4 engine, is suffering from a low idle. From what I read on the internet, the iacv needs to be cleaned.
The thing is, on this engines the iacv is located under the throttle body and it is in an awkward place to work or fit tools there. I was wondering that taking the whole throttle body apart would probably be easier but I noticed a gasket on the throttle body.
If I take it apart I need to put the gasket back in its place; will it be a problem if I use the same gasket or do I need to buy a new one? Also will taking apart the throttle body cause any issue to the engine for example anything needs calibrating etc?
I really enjoy doing these bits and pieces in my cars, but in this situation, it will be the first time that I need to clean the iacv, so I need some of your advice so I can do things right.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There should be 4 big studs that attach the whole throttle body to the main part of the manifold. Remove the stud nuts and disconnect the thottle cable, all the wires and hoses and pull the throttle body off with the IACV and sensors still attached. Gasket can usually be re-used.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:21 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
There should be 4 big studs that attach the whole throttle body to the main part of the manifold. Remove the stud nuts and disconnect the thottle cable, all the wires and hoses and pull the throttle body off with the IACV and sensors still attached. Gasket can usually be re-used.
Thanks, your help is much appreciated.
I will try to take apart the IACV without taking the TB out unless it gets too fiddly so I take the TB out. I've already called honda here in UK and they don't have the gaskets in stock but they can order. Out of curiosity I asked how much the IACV is and the price is ridiculous, it costs almost half of the car.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:54 AM
HCF Member

Hi All,
Today I had a go on the IACV and I did it without taking the TB apart.
As I don't have any TB gasket, therefore, when removing the TB, the gasket might get ripped. Also as I don't have any gasket sealant, (I will order a TB gasket and some gasket sealant just to have it for the next time), I have decided to have a go without removing the TB.
It took me 3 hours with patience and a bit of swearing to complete the job. The worse part was to disconnect the coolant hoses which were sticked to the IACV and then remove the hose clips which for my luck were facing back. With no room to play with tools or for this type of clips with the plier, there was a bit of play and swearing. Then I realised that it was better to rotate the hose clip from the back to the front so I could have a better grip with the plier and take the first hose from the left to right and then do the same with the second hose.
It was much quicker to put everything back than taking it apart.
I used a small brush to clean inside the IACV, but be aware of not leaving any hair of the brush inside. As I have an air compressor, I just sprayed everything and put everything straight back in place without waiting half an hour like some people say to get everything dry.
Be aware of putting a rug or cloth under the IACV when taking the screws out because you may loose some screws or even loose the IACV gasket. If you loose a screw, it may end up in some awkward place to pick it from. I have a telescopic magnetic picker but there are some places where a magnetic picker can't get in to unless it is a flexible one.
Now I just can't wait to do this job in my wife's civic, lol.

Attached Thumbnails IACV and throttle cleaning.-image-680077993.jpg   IACV and throttle cleaning.-image-2433769347.jpg   IACV and throttle cleaning.-image-408846483.jpg   IACV and throttle cleaning.-image-57107282.jpg