Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ICM wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 AM
HCF Member
Default ICM wiring

I am changing the ICM from inside the distributor cap of my 1991 civic. After taking off the wires, I am not sure about the yellow and the greenish wires as to where they each go. They are about the same length, so if anybody could help me I'd appreciate it. I think I might have blown my last ICM by hooking them up wrong, because I was just checking it right before it blew.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:21 PM
HCF Member

I may be calling that part the wrong thing. The book I have calls it the igniter unit, but it does not tell me what wires go where.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does this help at all:

Name:  picture_2848.jpg
Views: 8286
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  picture_2847.jpg
Views: 7975
Size:  52.8 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 06-03-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Also click here.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:15 PM
HCF Member

Well, I have that diagram and I'm still confused. The Igniter unit doesn't look exactly like that and the wires don't line up the same way either as far as I can tell. I only have a prong on one side of the igniter, and the side without a prong is where the white wire comes from and obviously goes on the last prong. This diagram shows the white wire in about the same position, but the blue wire is coming from the same side as the other two wires. The more I look at them the more confusing this diagram is.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:18 PM
HCF Member

That last diagram was perfect! Thanks!!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the engine carbureted or fuel injected?

Did you click the link in my previous post?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

Mine is fuel injected. I did get that link. That's the one I needed. But, alas, I guess the igniter wasn't my problem(or only problem) as my car still will not start. I'm guessing maybe the coil because the rotor looks fine. Is there some way to check the coil and the igniter to see if they are bad? I asked my local auto parts store and they don't check igniters or coils.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Can you give some background about your problem? Do you have bright spark at all four plugs? Does the fuel pump prime? Is the LED on the ECU blinking any codes?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

The car is at my job, so I'll check that stuff tomorrow. I started off with the car doing nothing at all when I turned the key. I thought I had had the same problem and that it was something inside the distributor that caused the problem before. So I pulled the coil and igniter thinking I could get them checked, but nobody does that around here I guess. But I was wrong because they weren't the problem anyway. It ended up the clutch switch went bad. One guy on here said something about connecting the two wires and bypassing the switch. My dad even agreed, so that's what I did. I drove it to work and everything was fine. I cranked it up to leave work and as I took off I heard kind of a pffft sound(if you know what I mean) and the car died and hasn't started since. Thinking I might have plugged the igniter up wrong I tried it first. I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is priming(it's fairly new) but I'll double check tomorrow.

Quick Reply: ICM wiring