Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ignition Module Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:14 PM
HCF Member
Smile Ignition Module Question

I was talking with a guy that had a very similar issue with his Honda as I'm having with mine. He said his turned out to be an Ignition Module.
So my question on a 90 Civic LX 4dr 1.5 with an auto trans how, or does the ignition module tie to either the Main Relay or Fuel Pump???
If the Ignition module was getting hot could it shut of fuel??? Because this car will run for 30 minutes fine then quit NO FUEL. After it sits for an hour or over night it starts & runs again fine for about 30 minutes then quits NO FUEL. How I know there is no fuel is I have disconnected the inlet line from the pump & it is dry & cranking it there is no fuel at all. Even the filter is empty.
Thanks in Advance

Last edited by 90 Civic; 04-20-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The ICM does not control the main relay or fuel pump. It only amplifies pulses from the ECU to drive the ignition coil and tachometer.

When the car will not start, do the spark plugs fire? Pull one wire out and test with a spare spark plug.

When you turn the key on but not all the way to start, you should hear the main relay click, and the fuel pump run for 2 seconds. During that time the CEL will come on and then go out. If the CEL cycles like it should, take the back seat out and check for power on the fuel pump wire during the priming phase. Also check the fuel pump ground back there. If power to the pump but no noise and fuel flow, pump would be bad.

This is all assuming that you have already resoldered the main relay in the first place. That goes without saying.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for your response.
The Main Relay was replaced a few months before I parked this in Dec. It cycles. I will check the wires when I get back up to where the car is in a few weeks.
Thanks