Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ignition module replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Default Ignition module replacement

So my distributor died on me, engine light came on, terrible squeaky sound coming from the distributor housing. I went to NAPA and got a reman one and replaced it. I took it to a shop to adjust the timing. They couldn't get it up to spec. They said it was a bad distributor. So I went back to NAPA. I got another reman distributor. Fired it up went back to the same place to adjust the timing. At the time they got a code 15 from the ECU, adjusted the timing and reset the ECU. They got the timing up to spec and I drove off, presumably to return the 1st distributor to NAPA. Engine light went off again and the car died. I drove it back home, on the way picking up a brand new Honda distributor housing. Now I need to replace the ignition module (and the coil?). The problem is that if I am getting a ignition timing code 15 from the ECU and I install an ignition module from one of the distributors that doesn't work properly, what is the point of installing the new distributor with an old ignition module? Could my ECU be screwed? Will this fix even work? Could it just be that the guy at the shop didn't reset my ECU properly - he took the fuse out and put it back in...I am stumped. Any input is much appreciated.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Default RE: Ignition module replacement

So I took the brand new distributor housing and took the guts from the 2nd reman distributor and now it sound like the car wont even spark. It turns over but wont catch. Any ideas? Could a bad coil be the problem or am I not even looking in the right place?

Old 09-23-2005, 01:58 PM
HCF Member

I doubt that this fill fix your problem, but check your ICM or ECM what ever they're called fuses in your engine compartment looking from front of the car to the back on the left top hand side. Make sure some of those fuses aren't blown, like the 10 and 15 amp. But I dont think this is your problem.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:40 PM

What is my problem? The fuses are fine. Could it be an injector problem? I really am at a loss. I suppose it could be a bunch of things, however besides this the car has gotten a clean bill of health...