Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ignition won't let go of my key

Old 10-19-2013, 09:03 AM
HCF Member
Angry Ignition won't let go of my key

I recently let someone drive my car. I don't think they did anything wrong to it, but correct me if I'm wrong. It's a 2000 LX ... I put the keys in, drive to where I'm going, and once I shut it off (you know you go to press it in and turn it all the way back), It won't let me turn it all the way back to get it out. Usually this happens like twice a year, and all I do is jiggle the shifter (Automatic) while its in park.

Sooooo... When the key was stuck, and when I was SUPER frustrated and pissed off, I took the entire key ring off, and left the key in the ignition. So since I was doing that, I figured I would disconnect the battery so no one would steal it (easily).

After that, I tried again, the keys came right out. So that's it. Now everytime I drive somewhere, I have to disconnect the battery to get the stupid key out.

Somone please help!!!!

Old 10-19-2013, 09:05 AM
HCF Member

(I meant that the keys only come out with the battery disconnected)

PS+=----> I was told to just spray some WD-40 inside the ignition lol, def would like a comment on that one.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Next time try rotating the steering wheel to one extreme or the other and then try to remove the key. Sometimes this will do the trick.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:05 AM
HCF Member

Ok, didn't try that yet...

But... What I did do, was go from youtube video to youtube video for a bunch of different cars, and civics, and I tried the tilt for the steering wheel, I tried putting on the parking brake and jamming through all gears gently AND roughly... I tried EVERYTHING...

Next I guess I'll try your suggestion, and WD-40... (I don't think lubrication has anything to do with it though... Hopefully it DOES though cuz that would be a super easy fix!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 AM
HCF Member

That didn't work at all. Didn't try the wd 40 yet though, but I highly doubt that that's the problem.

I was able to put on the parking brake, slowly push into park from reverse (car off)... And after a few clicks, it came out nice and easy. This was working a few times, but now, I'm back to disconnecting my batter, which, the nut on the ring broke so I don't need a ratchet anymore... Really annoying. Is there anything I can do with that little slot next to the gear shifter? On my grand prix it has the same slot, but it's labeled "Gear shift lock release" (or something like that)...