Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

im in a problem hcf help me outt

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 04:06 PM
HCF Member
Default im in a problem hcf help me outt

ok well my friend installed my rearr speakers today and everything was working fine.. wen i went home and parked my driver side window did not roll up... so i panicked and took it to my boss who was a mechanic... he used an ometer to check my car out and i think he blew a fuse which caused my rear window to stop working.... now only two windows in my car r rolling down.... the one in the back doesnt work i think to a blown fuse abd i have no idea why my driver side window isnt rolling up... it was working ok in the morning... someone please help me my window is wide open and i dont want to park it on the street and i am paying my landlady extra to use her drive way... any help because i dont even know where my fuses for my windows r located... its a 92 civic lx

Old 10-20-2007, 04:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: im in a problem hcf help me outt

Have u looked above the clutch there should be some fuses there if not they will be more under your hood near the battery

Old 10-20-2007, 04:22 PM
HCF Member

i checked, none of those fuses have to do with my power windows, or at least i think....

Old 10-20-2007, 08:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ic892003

i checked, none of those fuses have to do with my power windows, or at least i think....
Ever electronic system is fused (except the starter motor). There is a fuse that is connected to the power windows somewhere there. Check all the fuses. You can use a voltmeter. Put the meter across the terminals and if the voltage is 0V then the fuse is OK. If the voltage is ~12V then the fuse is blown. You can also use a test light (which will be slightly faster). Touch both terminals of the fuse (do it one at a time). If the light turns on then the fuse is OK. If it does not turn on then it is not OK. If you look at a fuse, on the top part (not the part with the prongs sticking out) there will be two square shaped pieces of metal in the plastic. The reason for the metal is to allow you to test the fuse. Generally the fuse will blow in the middle and the metal pieces are on either side. Check the fuses first because you might have accidently caused a short when you were installig the speakers. Short circuits blow fuses and sometimes circuits are wired together in wierd ways. If you check all the fuses and none are blown, the next thing is to trace the power back. Check for power at the power window motor. If there is no power then go to the next component in the circuit and check it. Do this until the problem is found.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:24 PM

LOL.. check your fube box maybe? lmao...

Old 10-21-2007, 12:07 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

ORIGINAL: ic892003

Ever electronic system is fused (except the starter motor). There is a fuse that is connected to the power windows somewhere there. Check all the fuses. You can use a voltmeter. Put the meter across the terminals and if the voltage is 0V then the fuse is OK. If the voltage is ~12V then the fuse is blown. You can also use a test light (which will be slightly faster). Touch both terminals of the fuse (do it one at a time). If the light turns on then the fuse is OK. If it does not turn on then it is not OK. If you look at a fuse, on the top part (not the part with the prongs sticking out) there will be two square shaped pieces of metal in the plastic. The reason for the metal is to allow you to test the fuse. Generally the fuse will blow in the middle and the metal pieces are on either side. Check the fuses first because you might have accidently caused a short when you were installig the speakers. Short circuits blow fuses and sometimes circuits are wired together in wierd ways. If you check all the fuses and none are blown, the next thing is to trace the power back. Check for power at the power window motor. If there is no power then go to the next component in the circuit and check it. Do this until the problem is found.
Wow that's cool I didn't know that you could check fuses like that with a test light!! I always pulled them out one at a time...

Old 10-21-2007, 09:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: foress_89

Wow that's cool I didn't know that you could check fuses like that with a test light!! I always pulled them out one at a time...
Thats the brute force method. I don't actually have a test light so I use the voltmeter. Remember that when you are using the test light to touch both terminals on the fuse.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:40 PM
HCF Member

ok i pulled 2 fuses out and they were blown, thanks guys thats one less problem to worry about, atl east my windows r up and working