Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Instrument Cluster swaps...1990 Hatch and 1994 Hatch wants to get tachs!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Default Instrument Cluster swaps...1990 Hatch and 1994 Hatch wants to get tachs!

I'm new on this forum and have been looking for feedback on whether or not the the hatchbacks I have can have "tach optioned" instrument clusters plugged into the standard dash of my cars that never had a tach. It seems that the 1994 CX should not have a problem from what I can see from what people are saying that sell the used clusters, but I just wanted to make sure before I bought one and then tried to swap them out.

Also...I wanted to know if it is possible to change out the speedometer/.odometer that is in each of my cars original dash clusters for the ones that will be in the replacement clusters that have the tachs? I would like to be able to keep my odometer mileage reading the same for my cars so it seems that swapping the gauges (which appear to be identical when looking at the tach clusters) should work if there is a way to actually take the speedo/odometer gauges out of the clusters to do the swap before installing the tach clusters into my cars.

The tach clusters for the 1990 Civic Base Hatchback seem to be coming from CRX Si or other civics that had tach. I see there are 6,500 rpm redline and 7,200 rpm redline tachs out there.

So...anyone here know if the speedo/odometer gauge can come out of a cluster without destroying the whole thing and then get the correct mileage one from my cars back into the new tach cluster?

Thanks for any input.

Things I want to buy for my Hondas :

* Instrument cluster w/ tach from a 5-spd (6,500 rpm tach is fine) for the '94 CX hatchback

* OEM VX rims for the '94 Hatchback

* Instrument cluster w/ tach from a 5-spd (6,500 rpm is fine) for a 1990 Base 4-spd hatchback

* Stock OEM (from a DX?) type front sway bar for the '90 Base hatchback

* Rebuilt carb (or xlnt. rebuilder) for my '84 CRX HF (1300)

Thanks...you can reach me faster at jglsbca@juno.com since I can't sign on at this forum daily.