Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Intermitant speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

how about 50 bucks shipped in the 48states.

paypal preferred of course

Old 04-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Chubby Chaser

you can also flip the digits and set it for your correct mileage

and i can vouch for additiontobass, he is a well known member here and does things right.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well with fliping the digits.... thats very difficult on these civic gauges! i dont advice trying that at all, the numbers are held in place by tiny pieces of plastic and also i dont think theres enough space between the numbers and needle to get them out from under the face!

like i said just keep the old speedo section and document the new clusters speedo number at the time of the switch! hell write it on the old speedo with paint that way if you do sell it you can show and tell them what the milage was on the old speedo that stopped working and the mileage that was on the working speedo you bought to replace it! then its simple math to see exactly how many miles are on the car itself
golden!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Chubby Chaser

ive done it over 50 times and never had a problem, just gotta know how to do it right.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:19 AM
HCF Member
Default speedo fix?

Hmm, my speedo kinda sticks @ 60 km/h sometimes, settles back if I thump on the dash...
Kinda seems like maybe it's poor electrical connections.

Has anyone tried cleaning the contacts?

1) the screws that hold the speedo gauge to the instument cluster box

2) the pins that connect the speedo head to the speedo circuit board, the board comes off with a couple screws

3) the connectors that clip into the cluster

pencil eraser or deoxit perhaps?

I'll try out the above and report back in a few days when I get my EX back on the road.

cheers

Old 06-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

you can try but i wouldnt think that would be the case since the dash is so tight up there dirt typically isnt a issue. at least it wasnt the issue when the two i had failed.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:48 PM
HCF Member
Default bad connection

I'm not thinking it's any significant amount of dirt, maybe oxide buildup on the connections, similar to old stereo switches etc. Deoxit is stereo switch repair in a can, I'll see what it does for the speedo. Faint hope I guess, but maybe....

Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 AM
HCF Member
Default Speedometer fixed?

Hah, it worked! I think it was cleaning the contacts that did it. I used deoxit, which is great stuff for cleaning electronic switches and contacts. Here's the deal.

My speedo would hang at ~80km/hr (50mph) and would stay there even when stopped until I thumped the dash.

I took the speedometer head out, clearly the needle was not sticking mechanically.

Using a q-tip with deoxit on it I swabbed the copper circuit board where the two harness connectors plug into the dash.

I also swabbed the main dash circuit board where the screws pass through it to mount the speedo head as well as the contacts on the speedo circuit board where the same screws pass through.

I unclipped the speedo circuit board from the speedo, there are about six pins mounted on the speedo head, they slide into a connector mounted on the board, I carefully sprayed some deoxit into the connector on the board and reassembled.

Presto, a properly functioning speedometer! Judging from the various symptoms reported, my best guess is that most speedo trouble is probably intermittent connections. They're a common problem with electronics, that and solder joints as per the famous main relay.

Deoxit is found at guitar center stores in the states. Cheaper than a new speedo and also good for old stereo input selector switches that fuzz out, don't spray it into potentiometers though.

The other option is to clean the suspect contacts with a pencil eraser, then again maybe simply disassembling and reassembling cleans the contacts as the parts are slid against one another.

Anyway, we'll see how long my speedo behaves.......

Old 08-04-2010, 12:41 AM
HCF Member
Default speedometer actually fixed

Ok, so now it's like the third or fourth time I've had my speedo out....

Anyway, on closer inspection, the trouble was, of course, bad solder connections on the speedo circuit board.

It's always the solder joints!

Old 08-21-2010, 04:26 AM

So did you touch all the connections with a sodering iron?

Quick Reply: Intermitant speedometer