Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone trouble with Bluetooth / HandsFreeLink

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Default iPhone trouble with Bluetooth / HandsFreeLink

Just got an 2012 Civic hybrid. When we picked it up, the salesman showed us how to get my wife's iphone to go through the bluetooth so she could drive & talk legally.

It worked in the showroom. At home, I tinkered (I know...). I paired it with my android. No problem.

Now my wife's iphone 4S 'pairs' with the car, and I can get it to dial, and ignore, and hang up and stuff, but the audio doesn't go through the car. The iPhone just sits in my lap and I'm talking and listening through the phone - not the car. I've gone through all the options I can find on the car, and on the phone. no improvement. Deleted my android, deleted and re-added her iphone; no improvement.

Also, when in the middle of a call, the only option on the touchscreen that is NOT greyed out is 'hang up'. the other buttons - such as the 'transfer (call between phone & car)' are unusable.

Oh, and get this: songs on the iphone should also go through the car, and they did when we picked it up, but they're not now. Now I can skip forward and backward using the controls on the touch screen, but audio doesn't come through the car, and the play/pause button on the car does NOT change the state of the song on the iphone...

Anybody got any ideas? Is this a car thing or an iphone thing? Any help would be appreciated.
- K

Old 03-31-2012, 10:17 PM
HCF Member

Have you double-checked that blue tooth is enabled? Here's a video, just in case you missed something:

2012 Honda Civic Connecting iPhone via Bluetooth - Allen Smith, Holmes Honda Ask The Honda Guy - YouTube

By the way, for seamless linking to Outlook, I've found that nothing is better than a Windows phone. Both Android and Iphones tend to have issues and in some cases need an app that is not free.
Both Windows and Android phones work well with our Lexus. We haven't tried any iphones yet and may not if we can continue to get free 4G phones from T-Mobile + a $100 rebate and $25 worth of apps.