Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

joined the forum because...quick...help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Default joined the forum because...quick...help

hey guys,

Thinking about purchasing this Honda Civic DX Hatchback. Its an automatic...eh. Power steering, low profile tires, and has cosmetic problems. Needs new brakes, no stereo system at all, and a broken driver seat...a new paint job wouldnt hurt it also. This civic was recently broken into and the whole sound system stolen. The previous owner of the car backed into another driver and the back left quarter panel is dented (dent= 1'x.5'). She also knocked off both driver and passenger side mirrors. Odometer reads 189k miles, but the car has a new engine in it with 32k miles (have papers for proof). All in all the civic has a clean interior and "low" mileage according to the paperwork. Long story short and I guess what Im trying to ask here is how much do you think this car is actually worth? All these Honda Civic enthusiasts here...I just want something economical

thanks
brandi

ps- they are asking 2300$. worth it?

Old 05-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Default RE: joined the forum because...quick...help

$2300 sounds like waaaaay to much....even with a newer engine, it should be lower cuz that car sounds pretty beat up. any idea of what happened to the previous engine and/or if there have been any major front end accidents that could have caused them to swap?

Old 05-27-2006, 11:18 PM
HCF Member

DON'T DO IT. That car has obviously been abused. $2300 is too much. I would recommend you stay away from it at any price, more fish in the sea.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:28 PM
HCF Member

What year is it?

Old 05-28-2006, 01:41 AM

its a 93'. he is my brother in law's friend, i hope he wouldnt be willing to bend me over on this car... i dunno though. he is selling it for his girlfriend. i guess she cant drive . he replaced the old engine in it because supposedly his girlfriend drove the car without any coolant...for awhile, blowing a head gasket. i was told that the old engine was on its last leg. no major front end accidents, just the girlfriend backing up into a parked truck thinking it was a trash can...(you got me). there is nothing wrong with the rear end either. i guess she was pulling out of her driveway while turning and ran the left side of her car across the tail end of the truck. i wish i had some pictures to show you guys. . was also told that the engine came from japan: japan has emissions laws that prohibit a person from driving the car over 32k miles. huge market here in dallas for these pulled japanese engines.

brandi
(too broke to drive a mopar)

Old 05-28-2006, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

I looked it up. It seems like the price he gave you is the Blue Book value. Still...since it's in such rough shape, you can probably get him to knock a couple hundred off. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:05 PM
HCF Member

what kind of motor was swapped into it? If its a dohc its worth more money, but they dont need to know that lol.,

Old 05-29-2006, 03:39 PM

ok....its a toss up between 2 cars guys. this is hard stuff.

96 carolla dark green color- (cons)- bad hail damage, needs new breaks, needs an alignment (pulls left speeds above 40mph), dirty/stained interior, and 116kmiles, emergency break light stays on ...(pros)- its a 96 carolla, new tires, radio...asking 2000$ for it

93 honda civic dx hatchback white color- (cons)- left rear quarter panel dent (medium size), needs new breaks, both side mirrors need to be attached (tightened), broken driver seat (has a gangster lean), no radio...(pros)- clean interior, new engine 32k miles (paperwork)...asking 2000$ (with a set of low profile tires and non)

i got the guy with the civic down to 2000$ (originally at 2500$). i dont know what kind of engine it is, yet to look at paperwork . cost to fix the dent in the civic will be about the same as the cost to fix the hail damage in the corolla.

i appreciate all your responses too by the way.

-brandi

Old 05-29-2006, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

I would go for the one with less miles. But that's just me.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

DON'T DO IT. That car has obviously been abused. $2300 is too much. I would recommend you stay away from it at any price, more fish in the sea.
Werd.