Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Kill Switch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:09 PM
HCF Member
Default Kill Switch Problem

Here is the problem. I'm installing a kill switch on my friend's 97 Civic DX hatch. I cut the wire for the fuel pump and ran the wires to where i want to mount the switch. I touched the two wires that are suppose to goto the switch together and the car starts. I then attached the wires to my switch and the car doesn't start. The switch i'm using a 30A automotive switch from Radio Shack. The switch has a little red light in it. I'm thinking that the switch is drawing current from the circuit and robbing the fuel pump of current. THe switch has three terminals: power, ground, and load. I attached the two wires to the power and ground side. Does anyone know what i should do?

Old 03-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Default RE: Kill Switch Problem

The power to lite the switch will be very low so that shouldn't stop you from getting power. I have not seen many lighted switches hold up very well so it may be a faulty switch. I do agree they look good though. On the terminals the circuit you want to be carried will be on the load and power. The ground terminal is for the light in the switch only. Power I think is the line with the live circuit in it. Load would be the line going to the fuel pump. Double check the power and load it has been a while since I have messed with any swith like that. Hope this helps you.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:25 PM
HCF Member

Ill try and hook up the wires to the load and power .

Edit: Just went out to the garage and hooked it up, works fine now. I hooked up the meter to the switch and there was little resistance one way and none the other way so i guess i thought that was the way it was suppose to be hooked up. Anyway, thx you saved me a lot of trouble and a new switch.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:51 PM

Why would you want a lighted switch as a kill switch... not to sound mean but if I was a thief and I jimmied your ignition and the car wouldnt start and I saw this glowing switch.... I would probaly push it. lol. Hopefully you hid it. A neat kill switch trick is to hook up the fuel cutoff to your seatbelt detection circuit. That way your fuel pump wont turn on unless your seatbelt is on...

Berz out.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:10 AM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

Ill try and hook up the wires to the load and power .

Edit: Just went out to the garage and hooked it up, works fine now. I hooked up the meter to the switch and there was little resistance one way and none the other way so i guess i thought that was the way it was suppose to be hooked up. Anyway, thx you saved me a lot of trouble and a new switch.

Glad I could help.