Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knock sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Default knock sensor

ok so i know i dont drive a civic...and this IS hondacivicforum...
BUT, ive asked these questions on my vwvortex and nobody really is any help, so ill ask here.

ok so the other day i go to start my car after turning it off for about 10 minutes and it just sits there and chugs. like the starter turns and everything, but no bueno.
then, randomly it starts. and throws a p0332 code. which is "knock sensor 2 low input." which is for cylinders 4, 5, and 6. (i drive a 98 jetta vr6) so i was like, double U Tee Eff mate?
cleared the code, and 6 days later the same thing happens. and it takes like, 5 minutes of intermittant cranking to get it started, throws the same code. cleared the code.
2 days later, same thing. same code.
today, did it twice in one day.
this is getting really annoying. ive also read that my car can run without a knock sensor and a knock sensor is not vital to startup, which makes me think that the knock sensor is not the problem. instead, maybe it gives me the low output code because it cant correct the problem or something? (idk.)
i KNOW its not the fuel filter because it 1. ends up starting eventually and 2. doesnt die on me while driving, flooring it, etc etc.
i KNOW its not the starter because the starter cranks.
im guessing the knock sensor isnt the problem, but i can be wrong.
im also due for an oil change, seeing as how i havent changed the oil in about 5k miles. (last oil change used synthetic though and theres plenty of oil so i really dont think thats the problem. besides, dirty oil doesnt keep a car from starting.)
i dont smell gas either so gas isnt getting to the plugs i dont think. i could be wrong though, because i didnt go sniffing around and if there was some it wasnt pungent enough for me to smell it.

so here are the symptoms. can anyone help me out with a diagnosis? im about ready to just take it into a shop and have them take a look at it/fix it. i really dont want to have to pay the money though, but i may end up having to.
thanks in advance!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Default RE: knock sensor

anyone?

Old 03-18-2008, 05:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You probably are on a goose chase with that knock sensor code. Ignore it for now and run thru the basic "cranks but won't start" stuff like check for sparks.

Should not be too hard to find a VW forum. They break down a lot.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:57 AM

lol, yeah.... true dat.

well i have looked but nobody has knock sensor problems. that also leads me to believe that it isnt a knock sensor.

but ill look up ignition now and see if i find anything. it may be my ignition relay, who knows.
thanks.