Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

lifters ticking

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:44 AM
HCF Member
Default lifters ticking

Ive noticed that since it has gotten cold, I hear a ticking noise on startup for sometimes up to a minute. the colder the day the louder the tick. Im assuming it is my lifters, and that it is because its so cold? I never had this problem in the summer. I am using 5w30 high mileage oil, any suggestions on what to do to fix this?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Civic engines do not have lifters. The valve clearance needs to be manually adjusted once in a while to compensate for wear by turning a screw on the end of each rocker arm. It's a simple procedure but be sure to follow the directions exactly.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Are you sure the valves are ticking? Try to pinpoint the sound using an inexpensive engine stethoscope -- $4 at Harbor Freight. Also make sure the engine oil is topped off.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM
HCF Member

it could be that the oil has just ran down to the bottom of the oil pan so you naturally would hear some ticking and the colder it is out the slower the oil would move taking longer to reach the valves.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by kanarrjl
it could be that the oil has just ran down to the bottom of the oil pan so you naturally would hear some ticking and the colder it is out the slower the oil would move taking longer to reach the valves.

A good oil filter should prevent this from happening, which is something else the OP should look consider.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 PM
HCF Member

I changed my oil and filter (fram high mileage) about 1000 miles ago. To my naked ear it sounds like its coming from the drive belt area, but I see nothing interfering with the pulleys. Also, the noise is not steady in its intensity, and goes away completely after the engine warms up. I would describe it more like a clicking/ticking than a knocking. If i can find my digital camera tomorrow ill take a sound clip.

I will look for a stethoscope along with a test light for my other car problem as soon as i have some money to spare, but right now i only have enough spare change to pay for my gas to get to work this week.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

Im willing to bet it is valve noise. Just like others have said its cold so it takes more time for the oil to reach the top of the motor. All hondas have a valve ticket. If the car is warmed up and the noise is still loud its time to adjust the valves. It is real simple to do. Pull the valve cover off use a fealer gage and run between the rocker arm and the top of the valve and adjust it untill its right. Im not to sure what the spec are off the top of my head. But I think there is a sticker on the under side of the hood that tells you. Or im sure you can find it on here. Hope this helped you out some.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:12 PM
HCF Member

yeah, I bought a feeler gauge, carefully adjusted every intake and exhaust valve to specs on hood, almost got frostbite on my toes, lost prolly 2 tablespoons of blood into my engine from bashing my knuckle. then about a mile down the road the CEL came on : (

The car starts much quicker and is not as sluggish, and the noise is still there but like 70% less loud. Im gonna get the cel pulled tomorrow : /

Old 01-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by MaximusFunk
...The cathen about a mile down the road the CEL came on : ( ...Im gonna get the cel pulled tomorrow : /
Maybe you just unplugged a sensor and forgot to plug it back in.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:30 PM
HCF Member

I checked all around for snesors I might have knocked loose, they are all good. The code I got was p0172. something to do with fuel richness. I reset the ecu and still pulled the cel.

while I was adjusting yesterday, I accidentally rotated the crank in the wrong direction about 5 or 6 teeth before I remembered, could that have thrown something off?

Quick Reply: lifters ticking