Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A Light Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Default A Light Problem.

Ok People,
Here is what's going on.
I have an '02 Civic LX. The passenger side front side marker is not working. It should run constantly when the lights are turned on. It is the same bulb as the turn signal (which I hope you guys know), however, the turn signal when turned on works, works well, and I have no problem with it. So... Suggestions? It can't be the bulb, can it? Could it be a fuse or something else? A circuit board?
A few more details here.
The interior lights all work fine, however, the lights behind the dash have been acting funny. The lights behind the temperature controls don't work all the time and will at times flash on or off. I've also noticed that when the headlights are turned on all the dash lights will dim slightly.
So the same questions apply.

Any help or suggestions of where to look for the problem would be extremely helpful.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The bulb has two filaments inside which work independently of each other There is a dim one for the marker and a bright one for the turn signal. It is very common for one to burn out and the other one still work.

Whenever a light doesn't light up, always start with a new bulb. If that doesn't fix it, then investigate further.

Some but not all of the dash lights working intermittently you would start by pulling the cluster and re-seat the bulbs, consider putting in new bulbs at that time or LED upgrade.

Last edited by mk378; 03-19-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:40 PM

Thanks a bunch. Both for the info and the lesson. I will replace the bulb and hopefully that works. If not I will be back.