Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Lights out! - Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Default Lights out! - Instrument Cluster

Ok, I may have done something REALLY bad when I installed my head unit.

I was having such a nice drive to work (as if there really such a thing hahaha), until I hit a bump and ooops, lights out. Instrument cluster and HVAC controls when dark. Ok, no biggie, I replaced the 7.5 amp fuse (I didn't memorize the location #, but that fuse is only for the instrument lights). So I replaced the fuse, everything was good for about a week.

This morning I'm driving to work and I hit my exit ramp a little harder than I probably should have (but it's so much fun, couldn't resist). At the bottom off the off ramp, there's a light where I make my left, it's bumpy there and ooops lights-out (again)!

I knew I could wait til I got home to replace the fuse, since it IS still daylight when I drive home. When I get home, I replaced the fuse. The kit I got only had one 7.5 amp fuse, so I use a 10 amp (I know it's never good to do that, but I wanted my lights back). Well I flip on the lights and.... ooops LIGHTS-OUT again)!!! I checked and I blew the 10 amp use?!?!?!?!

Is this common? Is it possible I crimped a HVAC light such that it's shorting out? When the instrument lights go out the HVAC lights go out too, since they're on the same circuit. I have to figure out how to remove my headunit so I can check for pinched wires, until then does anyone have any other ideas?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The light circuit also goes to the head unit plug. Make sure the unused "illumination" wires are securely taped up so they can't touch ground.

Also on most models when the fuse blows, your tail lights will also go out. So you should not drive at night like that.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:15 PM

I'm a little confused. I bought my headunit from Crutchfield, and they usually do such a good job with their instructions. In fact my wiring harness was so nice it was even color-coded. But you may very well be right about the loose wire. I remember having a couple of extra (unused) wires, but I'm pretty sure those come from the headunit, not from the car. Oh, on second thought it could be a power (on) lead for turning on a amp. Once I get the headunit out, I'll double check the wiring harness.

Thank you for your insight!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:50 PM

One more question. If the short is associated with the head unit would it have stopped working? My head unit was still playing even when the dashlights when out.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

No it will not stop working. The lighting setup doesn't have anything to do with the sound. The stock head unit had bulbs in it controlled by the light switch and dimmer that work in unison with the dash and climate control panel. Most aftermarket units do not. So there are going to be unused wires from the harness side that do not go to the head unit.

Look for extra wires from the harness adapter that don't go to the head unit.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:05 AM

I will definitely do that. Thanks for your help and patience!