Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

loose tranny dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Default loose tranny dipstick

Just changed the automatic tranny fluid on my "new" 2000 civic DX-V and noticed that the dipstick is real sloppy. It appears to be the correct one but doesn't feel like it is providing a seal. I'm wondering if perhaps the conical rubber plug that is integral to the stick may have shrunk with heat. Has anyone experienced this problem, and if so, is there a fix other than buying a new stick?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: loose tranny dipstick

just buy a new one......... mine had the same problem... i was preaty low on fluid from it leaking around the seal which was loose as could be!!!!!!

i forget how much the new dip stick costs BUT its preaty cheap from dealership....

downfall is the seal just SUCKS!!!!!!!!! they REALY SHOULDA thought up with something beter than that!!!!! ive been thinking of buying a american tranny dip stick tube and stick.... filling up fluid to stock level... then MAKING that new tube fit INTO the stock hole and seal it up realy good and simply stick the new dip stick in and cut it down and make a mark on the stick to show the full mark..... and use it like it SHOULD BE! mounted HIGH so its easier to get to AND wont just have rubber shrink again and leak down thier so easily!!!!!!
i like the dip stick on my dads 96blazer cause its kinda got like a LOCK to snap over the top to realy seal that sucker inplace!

im sure it can be done! i just need to buy some parts and see how easy it will be to fab up and make it LOOK GOOD!

Old 08-12-2007, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the resonse, additiction. Iwonder if anyone sells an aftermarket setup that addresses this issue.I'll start searching and post here if I find something. In the meantime, if anyone on the forum knows of a solution - let's hear it!

Old 08-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well thier realy is no solution besides buying a new dipstick........
unless you dont think youll ever need to check it again and you can use some silicone around the dip stick and put it in and dry overnight.... but i DONT recomend that!