Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

loses power and doesn't rev pass 3000 revolutions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Exclamation loses power and doesn't rev pass 3000 revolutions

hey guys i own a 94 hb vx. and well recently i ran into this problem where out of the random i'm driving and the car doesn't go past 2k revolutions and then i begin to feel a decrease on power. the first time it happened i just kept on going and it seemed like the car wanted to continue going but the further i went the slower it got. the check engine light does go on. now when i feel the car losing power i just park some where and shut the car off for about 5 mins and the car begins to ride just fine after that! I took it to 2 mechanics n they both said its the computer so i went out and purchased a new computer and the problem continues(i guess they got stumped and simply pointed out the comp.). Hopefully this has happened to one of you and could lend me a hand or some one knows what else i can go about checking.
thank you

Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Whenever the check engine light comes on, there is a code that can be read. That usually proides a good clue to what the problem may be.

You are right that a good mechanic isn't going to replace the computer before ruling out everything else. The computer itself seldom goes bad.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:59 AM

Basically you car is running in limp mode which can be caused by quite a few things. The main issue being you have a bad distributor. Anyway you need to figure out what code your ecu is throwing by finding out why your check engine light is coming on. Here is the best way to do so How To Retrieve Check Engine Light (CEL) Codes/List of OBD1 CEL Codes - Honda-Tech

Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM

so is there like a book of codes that i will need to purchase to identify the code that the cel will flash? and if so where can i purchase one.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 PM

The list of codes is on the same link as I gave you on How To get your codes.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

yes...you can buy a haines manual from autozone...they have a section with detailed instructions on what to do,and a list of codes.or just go to a shop that has free code reading.
if its like mine you have to find a connector under your dash..and then put a jumper wire in the correct 2 pins(jumping the circuit).then you put your key i the ignition and your c.e.l. should blink a certain amount of times.take that number and look at the page of codes for the number of blinks to match your code.autozone did not have the fancy new snapon computer to check the 95 and older vehicles.its a different plug/connector then the 96 and newer.alledgedly??

if your gonna do it yourself,,,get the book.you need one anyways i think.a manual will always help.

Last edited by phillip lizotte; 04-04-2012 at 12:42 PM.