Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loud Knocking Noise In Timing Belt Area

Old 10-08-2005, 08:55 AM
Default Loud Knocking Noise In Timing Belt Area

I have a 95 Honda Civic LX.

All of a sudden my car started making a loud knocking noise this morning. I thought it might have been coming from the engine block, but after listening a little bit harder, the sound appears to be coming from the timing belt area under the plastic cover. I might be wrong. Any suggestions on what it might be?

Old 10-08-2005, 09:04 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Loud Knocking Noise In Timing Belt Area

take off the timing belt cover and give it a look-see

Old 10-08-2005, 09:40 AM

Just to add some more info. I just reved the engine up to see what would happen. As the car idled back down it started stalling a little bit. Then I started hearing squeaking and clanking noises over in the timing belt area as if gears were about fall apart. I'll see if I can remove the timing belt cover if it's not difficult. I don't know anything about working on cars. The only thing I ever did was change a flat. Right now I'm just looking to get an idea of what the problem is so I can start weighing my options on getting it fixed.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:17 AM

it sounds like your belt is loose and if it slips it could change your timing which would explain the stalling, you can use the old screwdriver trick (put the plastic on your ear the metal on the cover) and try to locate the exact problem, but a belt is not quite as easy as changing a tire but with a proper manual infront of you it should be a possible project. i would go get a chilton manual and read over the timing belt and if you think you can do it do it, the manual would also have inspection procedure in it to make sure thats the problem

Old 10-08-2005, 12:58 PM

Well, if the timing belt was loose enough for things to be rattling around, it probably would have fallen off by now. It sounds more like onr or more of the bolts that holds one of the pulleys on it loose, and the metal trim plates behind them could be rattling around.