Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loud noise inside cabin

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Post Loud noise inside cabin

Hey i'm new to this site so maybe there's a thread about this issue already and someone can point me in that direction. I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX and lately i've been hearing a loud noise inside the cabin coming from under the hood. i've done some online research and some people say i have to change the timing belt but i have another 3000 miles before the recommended change. any ideas on what might be the problem. also the faster i go the louder it gets.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

More information is needed. What kind of sound? Where in the engine bay is the noise coming from?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:09 PM

its like a humming noise and to me it sounds like it comes from the driver's side. i don't really know how to describe it exactly other than a humming noise. it's not a rattling or ticking noise which i've had people ask me.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's probably a bad bearing on one of the parts on the left side of the engine. Could be:
power steering pump
alternator
air conditioner compressor
idler pulley
The above are all driven by belts on the outside of the engine. Then inside the timing belt cover you have the water pump and timing belt tensioner.

Start by checking the power steering fluid, the pump will get noisy if it is low. (Use only Honda approved fluid, most generic stuff is not suitable). Listen and try to localize the noise. One good way to do this is to take a piece of hose and hold one end to your ear then hold the other end near each part. Be extremely careful of the moving parts. Another thing is to remove all the external belts and spin the parts by hand, you can also start the engine with the belts off and see if the noise is still there.

If it is coming from under the timing belt cover (from the water pump or tensioner) you should do the timing belt job immediately and replace those parts. To keep driving until something seizes up and the timing belt strips you risk severe engine damage.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:23 PM

My 2010 model is having same problem since day one. It's coming from left side of the engine compartment if you are facing the car. Humming sound is very irritating inside the cabin and its frequency increase as the engine rpm increase.
Honda USJ replaced the power steering pump twice still didn't fix.
I'll bring in t he car myself now to the service Ctr this time...

Anyone have similar problem that fix?