Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Major Issues tring to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Default Major Issues tring to start

Howdy all
I'm new to this site and am having a major problem. To fill you in I just purchased a 1994 Civic EX 5 spd with a blown motor(hole in side of block and #2 rod in oil pan). I installed a new short block but after completion it won't start. The fuel pump wont run so I ran a jumper to it to get it to run. I'm not getting any spark but there is power to the dist. Then after reading on here I checked the voltage to the MAP sensor and am only getting .002 volts. I am getting ready to resolder the Main relay. Now where do I go from here? Would the relay prevent the pump from working and prevent the injectors and the distributor from working? Since the voltage to the Map sensor is so low is it the ECU? Does the ECU tell the injectors to fire, the distibutor to fire and the fuel pump to run?
HELP PLEASE

Old 05-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

OK after swapping an engine, make sure the ECU ground wires are securely connected to the thermostat housing. Easy and common to forget those.

Yes, resolder the main relay next. The CEL should come on and then go out when you turn the key on but don't crank.

If the ECU still doesn't power up, check the fuses supplying the ECU. Those would be # 31 and 32 under the hood and #18 under the dash. #15 under the dash supplies the distributor, apparently it is good.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Default Major problem fixed

OK so after resoldering the relay and cleaning all the grounds still nothing. I checked all the fuses and all where good. So I went through and put fuses in every slot that was open (the ones that the owners manual says not in use) and wa la it starts and runs and starts every time I start it, who would have thought. Now the only issue I am having is that the CEL light stays on all the time the ignition is on so whats up with that?

Old 05-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Put the test jumper in place and read out the code blinking on the CEL. Note that if the test jumper is already in place and there are no codes, the CEL will light up steady all the time like you describe.