Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

More idle ??s 98 ex

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 AM
HCF Member
Default More idle ??s 98 ex

Ok so here's what I got I've been haveing the trouble with a low idle especialy when its warm out ,,....so I have replace the plugs, p/wires, dis/cap, rotor button, pcv valve, and thremostat ,....and I was just gonna live with the low idle till yesterday it died at 3 different red lights ,so I replaced the iacv and at first it made the car idle high to normal up and down ,...so I gave it gas and I quit doing that now I just stays around 1600 rpms till I put it in gear it drops to 1000 ....but with it in park if I hit the gas and let off it goes up like normal and drops to 1000 ish real quick and and then goes back to 1600 .....so is that normal ......fyi no cel at all ,...and the throttal screw is bottomed out to the right .....thanks in advance

Old 03-19-2010, 07:46 AM
HCF Member

Ok now it through a code po505 my book says it is idle control system malfunction.....and in park the rpms are jumping from 1500 to like 1550 like a pulse ......the only thing I noticed is on the end where the plate is oppicate side of the plug its bottomed out and the one I took off is not

Old 03-19-2010, 10:52 AM
HCF Member

Were you throwing a check engine light before you replaced all of these items? If so, try resetting the computer. Drive it and see if the same code comes back.

Also, try disconnecting the IAC while it's running and see if that improves the idle.

Did you properly bleed the cooling system of air? If there's a pocket of air at the IAC you'll get a fluctuating idle like you have.

Last edited by norbster86; 03-19-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM
HCF Member

I never got a cel till I relapced the iacv ....so I was out when it came on so I reset the cpu and drive it home and it seemed ok driveing but when I got home I put it in park and it went up and down again so I drove it again and came back real quick and parked it on a hill facing and up now its at 1500 ish and not bounceing .....still cel has not came back on since earlyer .......I will try the disconnecting and bleed the coolant and see what that does ..... Thanks

Old 03-19-2010, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

ok i did the test above and no difference if its unplugged or plugged in and i didnt find any air in the system .......so i took the iacv back off and put the old one back on and every thing went back the way it was so i loosened the screws on the end of the unit and adjusted the spring and it seems to idle better ,...........so should i adjust it more or should it be adjusted ?????

Old 03-27-2010, 04:09 PM
HCF Member
Question please help this is killing me

ok so i got another new iacv and drove it to the store and came back out and the cel was on on this one to it wasn't bouncing the rpms like the other one but it did idle up to 1500 rpms and when i go down the road if i barley give it gas it jerks the car and lets off over and over as if i was giving it gas and letting off over and over (it dose this at a consistent throttle) till i give it alot of gas it will go fine but if i let off its like it stops pulling till i give it gas it jerks as if it slammed back in gear.

and again its giving me PO505 code ,.....book says it is a generic code and it is saying (idle control system malfunction)

Last edited by tonyhatchetman; 03-27-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the TPS on the throttle body. It should read ~0.5V at closed throttle and 4.5V at WOT.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:42 PM
HCF Member

should i do it with it running ? or with the key on or off ?? thanks everyone and thanks ronj

Old 03-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by tonyhatchetman
should i do it with it running ? or with the key on or off ?? thanks ronj
With the Key in ON(II), engine not running, and TPS plugged in. Measure voltage between the Red/Blk and Grn/Blk wires. This is done by scraping a minimal amount of insulation from each wire.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:03 PM
HCF Member

ok i will try this in a few or in the morning and w/b thanks ron

Quick Reply: More idle ??s 98 ex