Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

more power with no money.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Default more power with no money.

im lookin for ways to make more power out of a d15 or d16 single cam non vtech without spending money its just a junk race car motor. just tryin to keep up with the beretta 3100 v6's any ideas?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

crappy ebay turbo. you'll have to replace like in a year but if your looking for cheap. If your looking to spend no money, drive on rainy days. rain = Horsepower. well at least for drifting which you can't do in your civic. wow I need to control this ADD

For no money at all, strip your interior to nothing except the dash, and drivers seat and seat belt. Do an air conditioning, heating, and power steering removal and delete any electrical that's not mandatory for the engine to run. For instance lights, interior wiring, etc. make sure you know what your doing with the wiring though. You could get yourself into a real hiccup if you delete the wrong wiring. you won't get any horsepower increases, but you'll be a little faster because of no excess weight or anything. Be drastic on gutting this car. anything thats not mandatory and not needed for structural integrity or functionality get rid of.

Last edited by project91; 12-16-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:35 PM

it cant be turboed in the races i do. it just an oval track car. is there a way to get power that is not a bolt on? just using the stock engine parts? other then rerouting the pully drive belt so there wont be a/c or power steering.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Chubby Chaser

want more hp for free, loose weight, go on a diet. dont run a race with a full tank of gas, only run with what you will need

Old 12-17-2010, 03:30 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Yeah, what mitch said. You're not going to pull too much out of those tiny stock motors. Do a full tune up and maybe play with the timing a bit, but even that has a risk to reward scenario that isn't exactly promising.

Strip everything you don't need out of the car, and try to lose some weight yourself. The lighter you are, the faster you are.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:25 AM

which is the best motor to go with? the d15 or d16? cause thats what most of the hatch's come with am i correct? i know i can get the d16 and swap a vetch head off of the d16z6 on to it and use the non vtech valve cover and us the vtech ecu to gain a bit more power.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

Yes both of those motors came in the hatches doing a VTEC head swap will gain you more power but if the officials know what to listen for and look for when they do the tech inspection even with the nonVTEC VC you can still get disqualified, now if you want alittle boost in power you can put a SOHC ZC in it they are non VTEC and are a D16 engine

Old 12-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Chubby Chaser

you can buy a d16y8 head gasket and install it to raise the compression since its thinner than your current head gasket, you can install zc pistons in your block, you can get head work done, its all internal and nobody will ever see it.

Last edited by 94civichatchback; 12-19-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:04 PM
July 2010 ROTM

take a dremel to the ports on the head, or a die grinder and some stones. gasket match the intake to the head and the head to the exhaust mani. take the intake mani and the intake mani gasket, use something sharp to scrape the outline of the inside diameter of the openings in the gasket to the intake mani, then do the same for the intake ports on the head. take down the metal to the markings that you made with your dremel or die grinder. the ports will now be matched in size. do the same with the hot side, and then clean up the ports with a stone and polish them out. less restriction on the exhaust side means more power, and its hard to mess it up unless you do something stupid. i wouldnt mess with the intake port surfaces on the head too much, because of fluid dynamics or some sheet i dont understand too well. flow this and atomization that. its free, its fun, and will usually slide thru tech.

Last edited by MBrent; 12-19-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: i forgot a step. sorryz!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:38 AM
HCF Member

I would be very very careful in the exhaust dremmeling, too thin and it will get too hot. I wouldn't recommend porting a head on your own. have a machinist do it. but in my opinion the power to time and cost ratio isn't worth it.

Quick Reply: more power with no money.