Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Default Motor swap

Hello everyone. I'm new to the hondacivicforum.com and was wondering if anyone can help me out. My 16 year old son has got a 1975 Civic that he purchased himself when he was 14 (48000 orig miles). He and I have done some work on it ourselves. We've done a complete tune up, rebuilt the carb, reman distributor, fuel pump, aftermarket electric fuel pump (to cure vapor lock), battery, belts, thermal fan switch, radiator hoses, speedometer cable, front brake pads, and some other small odd and end stuff. He really likes the car as it is fairly unique. The problem is he wants to make it more of a "eurosport" type of car. As you probably know theres not a whole lot of options for a 75 civic. He has a friend with a 88 crx that just put in a new engine and 5 speed and is offering to sell the old one to him. Any one know if the 88 crx 1.5 and 5 speed will physically fit in a 75 civic with a 1.2 4 speed? Also wondering about cv axles for this combination. I reallize we will have to wire in a new harness for the ecm and fuel injection. Is the project going to be to expensive and time consuming to be worth while? Also I'm looking for a restoration parts suplier for this old honda (especially weather strips). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:14 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Motor swap

well - have to ask a question.
so an engine that has fuel injection (we are talking about port and not throttle body)
has to be kept fuel injection, is that right?
and that is because of the intake ?

Old 09-07-2006, 11:42 AM

Thanks for your interest in our peroject.

If we were to take on the task of making this all work it would be nice to have an injected finished product, but if the size of the injected intake is the snag in the project, then we may double think putting on a carb. If I'm not mistaken (but I could be) I think an injection setup will take less room than a carb setup.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:08 PM
HCF Member

for all those types of swaps there is an Interchange Manual that is on reference in libraries.
you may have to be in a large city for the library to have that.

an important book that i have used. knew this shade tree mechanic that swapped a dodge engine from a car into a 92 (i think) van. you talk about 1 big screw-up. i came to having to take over after him. one big screw-up. those 2 motors do not interchange.

i just dont know if that manual goes back to '75.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:49 PM

Sounds like a great manual. I'll have to look for it. Does it have a particular title? Are there different volumes for different makes or is everything in one manual? Thanks.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 AM
HCF Member

it is huge - reference only - sure it will be the same at other libraries.
from the austin, texas card catalog:

Keep in list
Find more by this author Find more on these topics Nearby items on shelf

Item Information Catalog Record
Hollander interchange. Wheel
Hollander interchange manual. Wheel
Publisher: ADP Claims Services Group,
Pub date: c2003.
Pages: xiv, 706 p. :
ISBN: 1581320698
Copy info: 1 copy available at Faulk Central Library.
1 copy total in all locations.
Holdings
Faulk Central Library [map] Copies Material Location
R 629.287 HO 1 Reference book 2nd Floor Reference Materials

dont hold me to it that this is it - i think it is. i can call when the library opens. i will be able to call in a short time. the "R" in front does mean reference.