Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Motor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Default Motor Swap

Ok guys I am totally new to hondas or import cars in general. I bought a 1993 Civic DX 1.5 for my sons first car. Here is the run down

Guy blew the head and his honda buddy put a new head gasket on the car and also replaced the 1.5 head with a 1.6 head and told him it would work. It was still overheating on him and he gave up. Thats where I step in and buy it for next to nothing. I now have the car and the rest of the 1.6 motor. I have ran the motor and have air bubbles in the radiator so I am pretty sure its got a bad gasket install orrrr can you not put that head on that motor? If you can do that kind of swap then I will just replace the gasket again but I dont want to do this again. OR should I just swap the motor and put the 1.6 in it? IF I do that with it work with the tranny thats in it? I am totally new to this....is there somewhere I can go to get details on doing this? I want to do it once and have a great car for my boy because he is not ready for his own Mustang yet...

HELP
Domestic Drag Racer....

Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 AM

You are looking for D series compatibility information.

Yes, D16s heads can fit on D15 blocks. What exactly needs to be done depends on the block/head. It is popular to install a VTEC head on a non vtec block, called a "mini me" conversion.

Yes the D series transmission will bolt up to any D seris block without problems. IMO, you should swap the motor to the full 1.6 if this motor has a history of overheating (unless you want to get the head and block checked for "level-ness".). Who knows how bad the previous owner roasted the motor..

Old 04-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I agree, should have swapped the whole engine if it was good. Put the 1.6 back together and see what it does. Severe overheating could have cracked or warped the block also it tends to ruin the rings.