Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Mouse in my air ducts...

Old 06-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Default Mouse in my air ducts...

Hey guys, well about a month and a half ago there was this really rancid smell in my 2002 Honda Civic LX and I never got to the bottom of it, and then after about two weeks it went away and didn't bother me for about three weeks. So then about a week and a half ago I was replacing my cabin air filters and right behind where they are housed there was a live mouse! I'm pretty sure he wasn't the cause of the smell about a month and a half ago but I can't be sure. Anyway I rigged up a glue trap in my cabin air filter housing near to where he was lurking around but I didn't get him. Now when I drive around I can't turn on my AC because there is this God-awful smell, so I'm thinking he may have died... or he could've got out and the cause could just be mold or mildew... but I don't think that is the case, although I will go buy some of that duct cleaner stuff they sell at the auto store. I'm wondering what I can do to physically flush out my air vents? Would it take a lot of work for a mechanic to take out all the ducts and vents and flush em out, etc? I imagine it'd be very expensive since they'd probably have to take apart the dash... does anyone know how much labor it would take to do that? If anyone could tell me the price range I'm looking at or suggest a different course of action or anything else it'd be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Mouse in my air ducts...

Mouse infestation is actually a rather common problem. Take the blower motor out and you can probably remove most of the mouse nest thru there. You may need a new blower wheel, mice like to eat them. It'd be very expensive to take the whole system apart.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 PM

Ahh, thanks man. Do you think I'd be able to find the mouse carcass or whatever from where the blower motor is removed since I saw the mouse in the vents behind where my cabin filter is behind my glove compartment. Is it easy to take out? How labor would be involved in such an endeavor?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:48 PM
HCF Member

My parents had the same problem with their Suzuki Esteem, except instead of a smell, they turned on the blower one day and it made an awful buzzing/shredding noise. That was the end of that mouse, but unfortunately they had to pay like $500 for a new heater core and to have all the ducts and vents cleaned out because they were covered with shredded mouse. I'm glad I wasn't around for that.[]

Old 06-24-2008, 07:51 PM

Ooooh dude, thanks for the reply, really handy. $500 is a lot but not unreasonable at all, I'd be willing to pay that much just to rid myself of this smell forever. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out to be anything unreasonably expensive like $1,000+

Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 AM

The smell is probalby the mouse urine. It is usually an overwhelming ammonia type stink. When I worked in a motorcycle/snowmobile shop it was very common to have the machines come in for a seaonal tune up only to find a nest in the airbox. By getting rid of the nest, the rest should pass in time.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 AM

You've committed the sin of reviving an old thread...

Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM
HCF Member

my friend stord his dirt bike for the winter, after winter lol mouse made a nest in his exhaust system. This is why i now cover up my street bike exhaust with a sock.