Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Nasty front end shimmy/shake HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Default Nasty front end shimmy/shake HELP

Got a PROBLEM…the front end of my Civic VX shakes really bad when accelerating. At low end speeds I’m pretty much fine, although sometimes it feels like my car is going over small incremental bumps in the road, when in fact the road’s surface is smooth…related?
Anyway during rapid acceleration the front end and the stick shift shake bad, really bad. Funny thing is that the steering wheel doesn’t shake much, not compared to the front end. Recently I changed out my passenger side axle and added strut tower bars to the front and rear since then it hasn’t been the same. Things to note I have a B18B swap. I have not had my car aligned, yet, since I did this work and had a friend check my lugs and tire rotation last night. He couldn’t figure it out so we are putting on the rack tomorrow.

Advice welcome. Please HELP!!!!

Old 07-07-2005, 08:40 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Nasty front end shimmy/shake HELP

kinda clueless right now but i would check mouts....like tranny mounts if you are not feeling it in the steering wheel.

Old 07-08-2005, 02:23 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Nasty front end shimmy/shake HELP

many thing can cause this. Of course wheel imbalance is the one that stands out, but bad alignment or worn out steering/suspension parts can do this. You say it shakes when accelerating, do you mean whne you let off the clutch? If so, it could be the clutch/pressure plate surface. Could also be a wheel out of round. Try rotating the wheels back to the back and see if it reacts different. If a wheel is out of round it is less noticable in the rear. When brought to the front it is very noticable. Hope this helps.