Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

NEED HELP ASAP.... HOOD WONT FULLY LATCH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default NEED HELP ASAP.... HOOD WONT FULLY LATCH!!!!

ok this realy pisses me off!!!!!!

ok heres the thing... when i put on my headlight covers i noticed it was realy hard to close BUT i got it closed after a few tries...
and now ive slamed and slamed and slamed... AND NOTHING!!!!
THIS REALY PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!!

i just instaled my HIDs and now its realy not safe to drive it cause only the safety latch catches.... ive sprayed the latch realy good with WD40 with still no luck..

i know my civic has been wrecked before from carfax.... in the front....
im hoping its nothing serious.... realy odd cause it opened and closed fine when i bought the civic afew months ago.....

i thought about pulling the front bumper off so i can look at it closer BUT!!!!!!!!!!!! HUGE BUT!!!!!!! my parents are packing thier motor home and realy want to be gone before wed this week to beat the bad weather comen in.... so i realy dont have much time to look at it myself
and since its the weekend the honda dealership isnt open.....

im thinking MAYBE if its the latch gone bad hopefully that would be cheap enough from the dealer and instock...

has anyone else had this type of problem?
ive tried to adjust it up as far as i could... BUT it shoulda latched..... but yet it sounds like its hiting something solid! but i dont see any reason for that!

Old 11-25-2006, 08:36 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: NEED HELP ASAP.... HOOD WONT FULLY LATCH!!!!

How about adjusting the latch? I bet it should be possible. Look at the bolts that hold it.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

tried that........... adjusted it up as far as posible! still same solid sounding hit.....

Old 11-25-2006, 08:45 PM
HCF Member

Well, then it looks like smth more serious. No idea at the moment, sorry.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya thats whats got me realy tripen!

and only way to look at the latch beter is to pull the whole freaken bumper off

Old 11-25-2006, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

i had this problem, the latch cabel has worn out, its like a bike brake cable, and the outer sheathing has woorn down, so now there is not enough slack to let the lock engage, you will eventually have to replace it, but a quick fix is to remove the cable from the pull handle in side the car in the drivers foot well, and then try stuffing the cable into the sleeve as far as it will go, you may have to jiggle it a bit but it should give it enough slack to lock, hope this helps

Old 11-25-2006, 10:51 PM
HCF Member

why dont you try taking off your headlight covers since you sead it started when you put thos on..and just see if thats it

Old 11-26-2006, 08:32 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

why dont you try taking off your headlight covers since you sead it started when you put thos on..and just see if thats it
because he adjusted the latch all the way up, so it cant be the lights cause with the latch all the way up, there is like a 1 inch gap on the front, and the lights wouldnt touch. its got to be the cable

Old 11-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i tried removing the headlight covers and closing the hood then... alls that did was i broke off one of the velcro mounting points of the cover WOOPS..... but luckely it broke back far enough that people wont be able to see it

ok ill try that cable thing and hopefully thats it!

Old 11-26-2006, 11:35 AM

Also make sure the latch isn't in the closed position....the repeated closing attempts may have caused it to trip close, but not catch onto the hood. I had this happen to me before, to find out, just look at the latch, there should be a clear pathway for the catch on the hood to come down into the latch assembly. The way you described the "hitting sound" would lead me to believe that's the problem. Have someone inside the car pulling the hood release for you while you see if the latch will pop back to the open position (use a screwdriver for this, but dont bend anything)

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: NEED HELP ASAP.... HOOD WONT FULLY LATCH!!!!