Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help for brake squealing noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by shelzmike
what happened to all the humanity in your town? Did they all leave, or something more sinister??

j/k I know it was a typo, but it was kinda funny...anyway, I really think you have the same problem as I do - hard pads on softer rotors. I know it is so annoying, but I am just dealing with mine until I rebuild the entire setup.

Mike
Oops! The evil spell correction. Humanity => Humidity. Well, I think I will just wait and see if the problem get deteriorate. Since I decide to get a set of winter tyres in late October. I will just check the brake pad altogether during the switching. I hope it will not turn out to be too ugly at the end...
Thanks anyway!
B. L.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:25 AM
HCF Member

Unfortunately, if the problem is the same as mine it will probably not work itself out until/unless you change the assembly. I could be wrong but I am not crossing my fingers.

Mike

Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by shelzmike
Unfortunately, if the problem is the same as mine it will probably not work itself out until/unless you change the assembly. I could be wrong but I am not crossing my fingers.

Mike
Well, squealing is not the end of the world. I think I can live with it. I will sink consider amount of green to Ms. Civic. But not for the brake assembly yet.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 AM
HCF Member
Default squealing brake fix

some thoughts...

1) is it the spring steel tab that is there to warn when the pads are worn?

2) The pad is slightly loose in the caliper, it should fit quite snugly. Brake squeal is rapid vibration of the brake pad. Adjust (bend) the shim until a tight fit is achieved. If need be replace the shim or whack the pad base with a hammer to peen it larger and file it back to a good snug fit. That should fix 90% of squealing. It works. I hunted all over the net to determine that, many many stories of folks taking their car time after time to the dealer and not getting it fixed. Lots of people saying they would never buy another honda ever due to brake squeal. It is caused by the brake pad rattling around in the caliper, adjust the fit and it will go away. The clue is brake squeal when the brakes are lightly applied. Under light load the pad is free to rattle, stomp on the brakes and is goes away because it is unable to move about when tightly clamped to the disc.

3) If it's drums, lube the rub points, check the hold-down springs, sometimes shoe replacement will fix it, I've seen new shoes fix it. Some shoes will squeal for no obvious reason.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civicalized
some thoughts...

2) The pad is slightly loose in the caliper, it should fit quite snugly. Brake squeal is rapid vibration of the brake pad. Adjust (bend) the shim until a tight fit is achieved. If need be replace the shim or whack the pad base with a hammer to peen it larger and file it back to a good snug fit. That should fix 90% of squealing. It works. I hunted all over the net to determine that, many many stories of folks taking their car time after time to the dealer and not getting it fixed. Lots of people saying they would never buy another honda ever due to brake squeal. It is caused by the brake pad rattling around in the caliper, adjust the fit and it will go away. The clue is brake squeal when the brakes are lightly applied. Under light load the pad is free to rattle, stomp on the brakes and is goes away because it is unable to move about when tightly clamped to the disc.

3) If it's drums, lube the rub points, check the hold-down springs, sometimes shoe replacement will fix it, I've seen new shoes fix it. Some shoes will squeal for no obvious reason.
1) Yeah, I did not take the wheel off to check it was indeed the case.
2)It is possible, since both pad do not touch the disc at the same time could result the same problem. Thanks for the tips, that is great help regardless whatever my case is.
3) Unlikely, but I will keep your tip in mind.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:20 PM
HCF Member

some thoughts...

oh wow, i'm feel stupid for never thinking about bending the shims back out against the pad. whenever i encounter worn shims i always buy new ones or just lube the **** out of it lol.

anyways, to answer the earlier question, i doubt any squeal would be humidity dependent but if that is possible, then it won't be due to the squealer since that will squeal no matter what, and from listening to your problem, it probably is either vibration against the shims/caliper or improper bed in.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:42 PM
HCF Member
Default shims

FYI the shims I'm referring to are the ones that are between the edge of the pad and the caliper. These are the shims that fit between the pad "ears" and the grooves in the caliper.

In the honda service manual they are called retainers. in any event, the idea is to bend them to enhance their spring effect to dissuade the pad from moving around.

I had an accord come to me with a wicked brake squeal, after plenty of noodling about on the net I came across this idea and it worked for that car. One pad could easily be moved around by hand when everything was assembled, adjusted the retainer shim, that made it much harder to jiggle and the squeal ceased. Of course the question then is what do you charge for a 5 minute repair that takes a couple hours to figure out that you should have known about in the first place? $20 and hope they come back when a bigger repair is needed.........

Old 09-26-2010, 04:35 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by theblackpearl
oh wow, i'm feel stupid for never thinking about bending the shims back out against the pad. whenever i encounter worn shims i always buy new ones or just lube the **** out of it lol.

anyways, to answer the earlier question, i doubt any squeal would be humidity dependent but if that is possible, then it won't be due to the squealer since that will squeal no matter what, and from listening to your problem, it probably is either vibration against the shims/caliper or improper bed in.
Yeah, I start to have a sense of it might have something to do with the shims, or even the brake pad itself. Since every time I apply the brake right after I back up the car, the brake will make a "bang" noise. So, I assume it might be for some reason, the brake pads are "loose",(I never experience this kind of goofy thing on other cars) and vibrate during braking . Could that be those brake pads are counterfeit parts that have wrong dimension?!

Old 09-26-2010, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

FYI the shims I'm referring to are the ones that are between the edge of the pad and the caliper. These are the shims that fit between the pad "ears" and the grooves in the caliper.

In the honda service manual they are called retainers. in any event, the idea is to bend them to enhance their spring effect to dissuade the pad from moving around.

I had an accord come to me with a wicked brake squeal, after plenty of noodling about on the net I came across this idea and it worked for that car. One pad could easily be moved around by hand when everything was assembled, adjusted the retainer shim, that made it much harder to jiggle and the squeal ceased. Of course the question then is what do you charge for a 5 minute repair that takes a couple hours to figure out that you should have known about in the first place? $20 and hope they come back when a bigger repair is needed.........
Is it possible the retainer too loose to a point that the pad start to move around? And please do tell me where I can get my paw on a copy of maintenance manual?

Old 09-26-2010, 10:11 PM
HCF Member

maintenance manual or service manual?

service:
http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Quick Reply: need help for brake squealing noise