Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

need help on my just swapped, a d16y8 to a 1995 civic dx?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Question need help on my just swapped, a d16y8 to a 1995 civic dx?

Need help with my car?
It is jerking when i shift into any gears, and when i dont step on gas it jerks in any gears..what seems too be the problem...and when sometimes i step on the gas pedal it get stuck and it will still be gas it causing it too rev my car, and i got to use my feet too push the gas pedal backwards so it won't get stuck...its weird...and sometimes when i try too start it it won't even start and has no power going anywhere at all..then like few hours the light and everything seems too come back, then it will start the car...NONE of my lights were turn on...and i know nothing is draining the battery..was wondering could it be my alternator is bad...because i did try too jump start it but it has no elictricity current going through no where...but when i wait for a few hours the light and everything would come back on and the car will start right up easy...thinking it's, needs new spark plugs, or a alternator and for my gas, is it my gas pedal or gas line or the pressure or etc...anything helps...

Old 08-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Stuck gas pedal check inside the car (floor mats a la Toyota, etc) also could be the throttle cable bad or the springs on the throttle body are broken. Temporarily disconnect the cruise control cable, if equipped (DX would not have had one stock). The "jerking" you describe may be related to the sticky throttle.

For sudden loss of electrical power that then comes back, usually it's bad connections at the battery could also be bad ground wire or connections in underhood fuse box.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:22 AM
Lightbulb

okay i just adjusted the gas pedal and it's more better,first time i made too tight..but then just fix it just right...not so sure yet need too test drive it...and it might be a ground too, might need to check that out since i have 3ground wires..1 on the left tranny side, 2nd on the the front frame, right too the engine...and 3rd
on the right side enigine, top..close too the harness..the 3rd is connected, on top of the engine head, too the right...with a 10mm screw...
also found out my o2 sensor on with the exhaust close too the cataylac convertor...has been cut...is that a probelm...and thiers another o2 sensor on the headers...weird, cuz is thier just 1 or 2 o2 sensor..also i use the same 0bd1 engine wiring to the y8 but i am using a P28 Manuel ECU so all is done except the damn idleling.....since its converted to a obd1...but realize that some of the areas of the y8 does'nt have connectors to some, wires that needs to be connect too....???..does that matters....i think it does to me..but who knows...it idles and no white smog or anything comes out of the back...usually i thought it would give out a lot of white smog....but nothing...???..good or bad...and also just curious to know..if my car idles but still drive like its normal...and everything etc..lights and exterior,interior, everything good but just the car idleling will i pass or or fail the DMV inspectation...i was thinking that i will fail for sure...but even though it idles no white or black smogs coming out...cuz dont wanna pay them again for another inspectations...cuz taking it too the shop is too much and dont want the city bla,bla,bla this and that...and i got to fix it...and would cost a lot...

Originally Posted by mk378
Stuck gas pedal check inside the car (floor mats a la Toyota, etc) also could be the throttle cable bad or the springs on the throttle body are broken. Temporarily disconnect the cruise control cable, if equipped (DX would not have had one stock). The "jerking" you describe may be related to the sticky throttle.

For sudden loss of electrical power that then comes back, usually it's bad connections at the battery could also be bad ground wire or connections in underhood fuse box.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

No smoke is a good thing.

Extra ground wires won't hurt anything, if the stock grounds are still good.

With OBD1 you only need one oxygen sensor, the one before the cat converter. Any sensor after the converter should be left disconnected.

The P28 uses a 2-wire IACV. The 3 wire IACVs used with some OBDII won't work. So make sure you have the proper IACV installed.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:54 AM

like where is it located at is the point im confuse..and also thiers like 3 wired thing that dont have anything to connect too...the first one is on the right side of the motor close to the alternator on the top, the other 2 is under the throttle body that is dangling around...also your saying the only o2 sensor i need for is the one on the headers...not on the exhaust...now i know what is the sticky is...because thier seems too be black sticky substances on my throttle body but clean it..might clean the throttle too make sure its better..

Old 08-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Was the car originally auto transmission? Is it still auto now? That might explain the two extra plugs under the intake, they were for auto transmission.

Also post a picture of your intake manifold and throttle body, that would be the easiest way to identify what you have.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 PM

fixed the idle problem. now it's having trouble with the rpm lvls..the rpm won't go up as it usually did, when it was idleling...when i was driving before, with the idle it was running fine...now the idle is fix but the rpm won't go up passing it usual rpm lvl..y does this has too happen!!...

-it's a 1995 civic dx coupe 5 speed,runs with P28 ECU manuel.

Last edited by jlor010; 08-08-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:44 PM

now the speed sensor won't work after i fix the idleling, but now it rev only to 2000 too 3000..i'm guessing of how it is reving...since dx don't show rpm on the cluster..weird...after i fix up another, another thing breaks down...

Originally Posted by mk378
Was the car originally auto transmission? Is it still
auto now? That might explain the two extra plugs under the intake, they were for auto transmission.

Also post a picture of your intake manifold and throttle body, that would be the easiest way to identify what you have.