Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help .. Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Default Need help .. Oil leak

Hi everyone I'm new here. Ok, I have a problem. I just got my catalytic converter changed, my spark plugs changed, and replaced an engine coil. I don't know a lot about cars, but I'm learning and would love to learn more about my car. I am just worried and stressed because I already dropped like $625 on repairs, and I found out tonight that my car is leaking and it's like what a bummer. I just got my catalytic converter changed a week ago and my spark plugs and the coil 3 weeks ago. I have a honda civic 2001 and I really don't want to let it go. I really don't have plans on getting rid of it. Also my car has 184,000 miles already. I put my finger under there and it was black oil and lumpy kind of. Let me know what you think. Please don't tell me my car is like ruined forever and I have to get a new one. lol

Old 09-25-2009, 11:12 PM
HCF Member

i'm sure you wont need to get another civic, i'm sure we can help you fix this.

so black lumpy oil? under where exactly do you see the leak?

possibly your motor oil leaking somewhere? when was the last time you did and oil change and did a mechanic do it for you or did you do it yourself?

Old 09-26-2009, 01:31 AM

Here's a really, really simple way to do this. Well, simple in theory, but takes some work. Put the car up on jack stands as high as you can. Get some mean green or some other sort of degreaser and a towel you don't care about and start scrubbing the underside of the engine. Clean as much as you can until that engine is clean. Drive it a day or so. Then put it back up on jack stands and look for fresh oil leaks.

That "black, lumpy oil" is probably oil that's been there awhile. It might have leaked when your oil filter was being changed. It'll have picked up road dirt and have gotten really gritty and nasty. If after you clean the block/oil pan/transmission case/everything you can reach and you see no fresh oil, it's likely no big deal. If you see fresh gold looking oil, you have a problem and we can help.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:39 AM
HCF Member

yeah when was the last time u got ur oil changed? Oil leaks are bad and should be taken care as soon as possible.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 AM
HCF Member

yup, none of the repairs you mentioned have anything to do with the motor/engine oil which is probably leaking or has leaked in the past.

the most obvious thing to do is to check your engine oil level; is it full?

Old 09-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Chubby Chaser

check your oil level first, then take your car to a car wash and pressure wash the motor then drive the car for a little bit to locate the leak, then post where its leaking from and we can tell you how to fix it.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:27 AM

^you can do that, but don't spray things like the alternator, distributor, battery...

Old 09-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Know your dipstick, and check it often. It is possible to run out of oil between changes and ruin the engine.

It's kind of normal to have some old oily stuff on the engine, etc. When you park the car at home, put some paper or cardboard under it to see if you have any fresh leaks.

As noted, be careful pressure-washing the engine because you can flood some of the electrical parts and cause problems.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Chubby Chaser

ive pressured washed my cars sevral times at the car wash and have never had a problem. everything is seal up pretty good. i also pressure wash my intake filter.(take it off the car and lay on the ground)

Old 09-26-2009, 08:06 PM

hi guys, Ok sounds like great advice everyone. I'm going to have to get a car wash under there. I lost my jack. . I took pictures, I'm going to post in a couple minutes.

Quick Reply: Need help .. Oil leak