Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need Help.. Timing Belt or Transmission??

Old 03-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Default Need Help.. Timing Belt or Transmission??

I have a 1999 Civic EX AT with about 155,000 on the motor. Within the past week i've noticed my car sputters to gain power after a few thousand rpms. I noticed this as I was slowing down to let a car make a turn. I did not come to a complete stop and when I got back on the gas it started to herk and jerk. The check engine light cameup and then back off a few times. Since then, I am more careful about giving it alot of gas. It takes off just finebut as you punch the gas there is no added power and itfeels like either the belt or tranny is not online. I know I need to get my timing belt replaced butif this is a transmission problem, i'll holdoff on the belt and just buy a new motor.Do you guys think this is atiming beltor transmission problem?

Old 03-25-2007, 04:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need Help.. Timing Belt or Transmission??

Doesn't sound like either to me. Sound like an ignition problem. When was the last time you chnaged plugs/cap/rotor/wires?

Old 03-25-2007, 09:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need Help.. Timing Belt or Transmission??

I would sheck to see if you have any kind of codes stored in your computer by canning it with a OBD2 scanner. If your check engine light is off, it may just have pending codes, but it could give you an idea of what is going on. A tune up may be good to do also if you havent had one done in a while. and you may find oil saturation from bad tube seals (common on hondas) If you replace your cap and rotor, check to see if there is any red dust under the rotor around the distributor shaft and check for shaft play. Distributors, Coils and Ignitors are also common to go out on hondas especially with higher milage. But usually involve a no-start condition. Probably is not a transmission issue.
[align=left] [/align]