Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need to replace a wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:45 AM
HCF Member
Default Need to replace a wheel bearing

Anyone have a diagram or how-to on doing this? It's a '97 Civic EX Sedan and it's the front left wheel. I bought the bearing, but I have no idea how to remove the knuckle so I can bring it in and have it repressed.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Chubby Chaser

i just take the wheel off
then cvaxle off
then unbolt top and bottom ball joints ..seprate them
and the outer tie rod.. and the brake line(use vice grips to pinch rubber line so fluid dont leak out.

and just take the assembly to a shop and let them press it out.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Using a hammer and punch, first punch back the bent-in part of the axle nut so it can be unscrewed. If the axle nut is too tight, put the wheel back on (remove the center cap so you can reach through to the nut) and set the car down, now you can wail on it with a long lever without fear of the car falling. On the new bearing, tighten the axle nut fully (use a new nut) before putting any weight on the hub, the bearing can get loose if you don't. You don't care about that taking the nut off since you're going to replace the bearing anyway.

Remove only the two large bolts holding the brake caliper bracket onto the knuckle. Pull the caliper (including brake pads) and bracket off as a unit and leave it with the car. Don't disconnect the hose, and don't let the caliper hang by the hose. You may need to pry between the outside of the caliper and the back of the outer brake pad to push the pads open so it can slip past the typical rust on the outside of the rotor. Be sure not to press the brake pedal while the caliper is off. Also remove the rotor, it will be much simpler to work on the bearing with it off.