Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

never figuired id have this problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Default RE: never figuired id have this problem

my car did that about 10 thousand miles ago i kept driving it cause i didn't feel like messing with it and now it uses a resovoir of fluid every time i drive it over 50 miles so you might want to get it taken care of

Old 07-01-2007, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

did u figuire out what it was??

Old 07-01-2007, 07:45 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: hatchedback94

my car did that about 10 thousand miles ago i kept driving it cause i didn't feel like messing with it and now it uses a resovoir of fluid every time i drive it over 50 miles so you might want to get it taken care of

that doesnt make sense, so ur car overheated once and then 10k later it uses a resovoir a day, how does one day of overheating trigger a problem like that 10k later?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:43 AM

When you overheat an engine you can literally melt the head gasket, when it dries it can seal back up but no where near as strong as it should be having thin spots. Over time they get worse and worse causing this problem. The Honda 4 cylinders are very prone to head gasket failures due to the high temps they run at ,the small amount of sealing surface there is to mount the head gasket to and the fact that the aluminum in the block and head expand a lot compaired to other metals like the steel sleaves. N8te81 has got the right idea just remember unless ur timing belt is new put one on while you have the head off with a water pump and get the head checked bye a machine shop while ur at it. Doing the head gasket on these cars is not bad, just remember to keep all the head parts with the same cylinder they came off of so you don't end up with some nasty noises, good luck guys.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ic892003

okay guys well i took my car down the lie, its big highway down here in NEw york, i drove for about 30 min str8 at about 75 mph, no overheating at all, what the heck does this mean?? the only thing i ddi since the first overheating was i bled my coolant system
The reason why it did that is because when you drive hard, the leak in the engine lets exhaust gas get out of the cylinders and into the water passages, where it displaces the water and eventually the bubble becomes large enough to cause overheating. If you want to keep going with this engine I'd suggest not flooring the gas pedal at any time, and bleed the cooling system frequently.

If you have oil or other gunk in the coolant, it had to come from inside the engine, so that's where the problem is.

I'd probably try a new head gasket once since I could do it myself, but like the other guy said, it's very likely that something is cracked or warped and you're going to need a new engine.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

ORIGINAL: ic892003

okay guys well i took my car down the lie, its big highway down here in NEw york, i drove for about 30 min str8 at about 75 mph, no overheating at all, what the heck does this mean?? the only thing i ddi since the first overheating was i bled my coolant system
The reason why it did that is because when you drive hard, the leak in the engine lets exhaust gas get out of the cylinders and into the water passages, where it displaces the water and eventually the bubble becomes large enough to cause overheating. If you want to keep going with this engine I'd suggest not flooring the gas pedal at any time, and bleed the cooling system frequently.

If you have oil or other gunk in the coolant, it had to come from inside the engine, so that's where the problem is.

I'd probably try a new head gasket once since I could do it myself, but like the other guy said, it's very likely that something is cracked or warped and you're going to need a new engine.

exactly i was driving hard......... the first time when my car was overheating i was driving hard also, now i drive hard again and it doesnt overheat, it doesnt make sense, none of my oil and coolant are mixing, my engine hasnt overheated since that day, i have no oil or coolant leaks, i dont see how or y my mechanic said its the gasket