Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

new 03 civic, what should I do first?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Default new 03 civic, what should I do first?

I just bought an 03 civic lx coupe. It has just over 100,000 km. I am just wondering what things I should check/replace.
Thanks.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 PM

The safety items (brakes, tires, etc.) should always come first with any vehicle. My Daughter's '03 LX, seems to be very solid, with not too much going on, but it was leaking oil. I recently replaced the cam seal, also called the cam plug. This is a small black circular plastic cap, located to the left of the valve cover. If you see oil collecting at that locaton (below that seal), it should be replaced sooner or later. Her's had been losing quite a bit from that seal, and I'm waiting for more feedback to find out if she is still losing oil (from somewhere else), or if that was the only leak. Good luck with your new car!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:54 PM

When we got our 01 EX and later our 05 EX we did a few items. If no oil leaks are present I switch over to synthetic as I don't like to change the oil often. Switched the 05 EX with 185K on it over from conventional and its fine (peoples opinion on switching will differ).

So after an oil change and nice filter (Bosch, Quaker State (i.e., Purolator) I do the spark plugs. I know a lot of people say Honda but I toss in Double Platinum Autolites and they're fine.

New engine air filter along with twin air filters for the cabin too.

Check the tire pressure on all four. I can't believe how many dealers/shops etc can't match them and usually under-inflate.

Top off all fluids and keep an eye on the coolant/temp gauge making sure it rids at just above 1/3.

Battery: I clean the terminals, add an extra ground if the stock ground is looking fuzzy. Seal them with protectant.

Usually new wipers are needed too, just the usual stuff.