Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CV axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:36 PM
HCF Member
Default New CV axle

My passenger side CV joint is crapping out on me, so I'm looking into replacing both front CV axles. About how much do you think the new axles will cost me? Also, can someone give me a website to buy them from?
All the parts stores in my area have crappy parts at jacked up prices.

Its a 98 Civic EX

Old 11-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Default RE: New CV axle

What year vehicle? I sell remanufactured axles for $45 plus a core charge. Shipping to CA is usually 4 days and $15. If you really want new axles, I can get those for $85 a piece with no core charge

Old 11-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

A year and a half ago, I purchased axles for my 97 Civic DX from AutoZone for $85 each. I found that the online prices for genuine Honda replacements were much higher. A minor drawback with the AutoZone driver-side axle, however, is that it lacks the damper of the original Honda axle and therefore produces some vibration at high RPM in first gear. This has not really bothered me. If you think it would bother you, buy a driver-side axle with a damper. Apparently, not all Civics have a long driver-side axle and a short passenger-side axle like my Civic, so this may not be an issue for you.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:56 PM
HCF Member

I don't know too much about CV joints... Though any car vibrations irritate the heck out of me, at least ones that can be prevented.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

They're getting really good at rebuilding those axles for cheap. In the early days of front drive cars, it was hundreds of dollars a piece for the CV joints. People were buying new cars just because the joints on their otherwise good car had worn out.

You can buy the damper seperate from a dealer or take it off of an old axle. Also buy new clamps for the inner boot because you will have to take those apart to put the damper on.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Some of my remans have the damper on them. I was always under the impression they balanced the CV shaft the way a wheel weight balances a tire.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When I looked at what was involved with moving the damper from the old to the new axle, it seemed like a huge complicated task, which also required special tools that I did not have. Is the job actually less tedious than I thought?

Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i would just buy new axles.... autozone axle was preaty cheap for my 94. passenger one was like about 50bucks. alot cheaper than the dealers 180bucks... OUCH... and that was EACH.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 PM
HCF Member

Are they alright? I just don't want to do a barrel roll on the highway :P

Old 11-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if they werent alright they wouldnt be able to sell them.... just pull off your old axle walk it into autozone and buy a replacement.

ive heard about people rebuilding thier own but ive also heard its a messy job.. not worth the hassle to me. when a brand new shiny axle was only about 50bucks...

Quick Reply: New CV axle