Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New engine in order?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 04:24 AM
Default New engine in order?

Hey everyone,

So I think I blew the head gasket because I have oil in my coolant and probably vice versa. Happened on my way home from work about 2 - 3 miles away. Refilled car with oil and drove it home rather than wasting my one free tow. Now the question is... do I just replace the motor (looking for cheapest options, not looking to make the car quick)

'93 Civ 1.6l 2dr 5spd
Current motor has over 200k on it

Basically I am just looking to throw a new motor in there soI won't have any problems for a long long time. Not sure if I am going to need to replace the clutch or transmission, the car shifts like mint.
I spent a little time looking around and the only thing I saw was a1.6l DOHC for about $1300 used with between 20 - 60k on it with transmission and ECU. I would rather just get a brand new motor, don't care if its slower than stock(if thats possible)if its significantly cheaper than stock motor.

What would everyone else do. Keep in mind that I am trying to go brand new, keep it as cheap as possible, and I could care less about how slow the damn thing is.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:42 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: New engine in order?

well, u could always go to salvage yards, and buy a totalled version of your car with less mileage. 200k miles is alot, so i would probably do a whole engine swap. u can probably get the motor for cheaper at a salvage yard, and plus.. if u get the same engine, its just a bolt on, no swapping ecu, and u could probably keep the tranny