Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Exhaust manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:58 AM
HCF Member
Default New Exhaust manifold?

Hello all,

about 6 months ago I had a really bad exhaust leak, when I got into it I found that my exhaust manifold was cracked so I replaced it. Cut to today, same extremely bad exhaust leak that happened all of a sudden. I didn't have time to get into it this morning but I'm gonna look into it this evening. If it is cracked again am I better off getting a third manifold or should I go with a set of headers and not worry about it? I also want to say that it's a daily driver and is bone stock, It is not a ricer and I don't plan on trying to make a 4-door car a hot rod anyways. Opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 11-08-2011, 04:47 PM

Did you replace it with an OEM one or an aftermarket one? I'm gonna guess that you have a 96-00 Civic DX or LX. Those are notorious for cracking exhaust manifolds. I switched to a Dorman aftermarket one and now have a check engine light for the catalytic converter...

I'd say that if the check engine light is not coming on, drive it as-is. You might take it to an exhaust shop and see if they can weld the crack up a bit (but not weld the o2 sensor to the manifold).

Old 11-08-2011, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

exactly right it s a 97 civic ex, but after taking a look there are no new cracks at least on the 4 into 2 part that you can see from the top. tomorrow I'm gonna put it on ramps and look from the bottom and see if it is cracked further down.

update tomorrow

Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
HCF Member

Ok no cracks that i could see anywhere from engine to tailpipe. It must be a bad gasket right? It is definitely coming from the front not from the cad or muffler. I couldn't find any carbon on the outside around any of the joints but it has only been blowing for 2 days and about 15 miles of driving. Is it just time to take it apart and see if any of the gaskets are bad or is there another step before that?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Idle the engine and have someone block the tailpipe with a rag while you look underneath. The leak will make a hissing noise.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
I switched to a Dorman aftermarket one and now have a check engine light for the catalytic converter...
Did you ever get this problem resolved with the Dorman?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by alpinegroove
Did you ever get this problem resolved with the Dorman?
Nope. Been rocking the check engine light for 33K miles now.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 AM
HCF Member

I am assuming you haven't had a smog test...?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:45 AM

I live in Arkansas. No test required. No inspections, etc.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 AM
HCF Member

And I am in California...

Quick Reply: New Exhaust manifold?