Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new here tough decision need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Default new here tough decision need help

hello everyone im chris, i hope i am in the right section to be posting this if not i am sorry i have a question to ask all of you out there and i cant seem to decide. i am tryign to decide on getting either a new 2007 honda civic si coupe, or a used honda civic. not si. i dont know which would be a better choice, if i get new i will need to finance it and if i get used i will need to finance it....so can you people help me out here its a tough decision so i need some feedback, like pros and cons of each choice or something would be really helpful and greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Old 07-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Default RE: new here tough decision need help

Since your going to have to finance anyways,...go new. I hear great things about the new K series motors. Either way though, Honda's are awesome!

Old 07-13-2007, 04:38 AM

i know honda are awesome i had one for a while before i had to sell it i needed money for some legal issues. i had a 95 civic hatch. it always ran. the only thing i was thinking is that yea either way i have to finance it but the used would be done quicker but i figure if i get new it will be new obviously and last a hell of a lot longer....any more poionter from anyone?

Old 07-13-2007, 07:07 AM
HCF Member

It really depends on your finances and how much you can put out a month (including insurance) for the new car. Even though both cars will have to be fully insured since you are financing, an older model should cost a bit less and since it is a coupe it will be pricier anyway. Then you have to take in consideration the cost of thenew car at 8% financing (depending on your credit this will vary but its pretty standardand if you decide to finance it other than honda) and a $2000 deposit(also pretty standard)anywhere from about $400 (5 yr financing)toa little over $600 (3 yr financing). These figures are also including no options (and you know there will more than likely be plenty of add-ons) but you will have to try and convince them that you really only want an SI with nothing extra and if the dealership is desperate they may take off the price of the options (less likely since this car is a hot item). Also figure inregistration fees (I think its $60 for NJ) andthat the new car will cost about $1500 in sales tax (I figured 7% since you live in Jersey)which will more than likely get financed also. Figure in the cost of premiumfuel overregular for theupcoming years along withless MPG.Refuse to pay all the extra "stealership fees" and maybe you will get a good deal. I would say go in the morning just incase you have to sit there all day to get a decent price and you have time to wear their patience thin so they will give in to the price you want. Do some reasearch for you area and figure out what they are selling for, and refuse to go over that price in the dealership.... OR.... you could just find a nice well taken care of used car and go that route (definitely cheaper)but get financing fromoutside as financing on used car at a dealership will always be more.

I am not trying to disuade you from getting it, but there is going to be alot more going on for getting a new car vs. the used. The real question is do you want to pay the extra in costs to have a brand new Si, or settle with a little something less for the time being.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:45 PM
HCF Member

From a financial standpoint, new cars and older used cars typically "are da debil". Newer used cars are your best bang for the buck. I'd also get an EX sedan instead of an Si if you're concerned about money. They get better mileage and don't need premium gas, while still offering better pep than a non-VTEC LX or DX.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 PM

thats all kind of true thanks for your support from everyone so far....its still a tough decision. i still trying to figure this **** out i wanted a new car with the gps, and the fact that i owned it from the very begining. as it has been all mine and nly mine. idk anymore pointers from anyone on this decision i will be sure to let everyone know what i decide when i do if i ever do haha.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:37 PM
gwl
HCF Member

I would try to get a low mileage vehicle about a year old. It will still be under warranty and you won't take a hit on deprecciation. Try to get your financing straighten out before you start car hunting. Right now, I'm keeping an eye out for 2006 si.