Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New honda owner, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: New honda owner, few questions

Retrieve the CEL code as detailed here:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

Old 04-12-2008, 03:11 PM
HCF Member

I pulled the injectors out and cleaned them (dirty!), and reinstalled and got it running fairly smooth, but still a CEL.. code "14 IAC (EACV) - idle air control valve"

can i clean the IAC? or is it a R/R only item?

Old 04-12-2008, 03:44 PM
HCF Member

Forget that.. the IAC was unplugged from earlier.. I feel like an idiot

It runs, but the rpm's jump around still.. and seems to have a slight miss every few seconds. I'll check the timing in a bit.

Thanks for all the responses.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:14 PM
HCF Member

Okay. We got it running perfect. Cleaned the injectors, set the timing (which was way off by the way).. she's purring like a kitten. We take it for a drive, and it hesitates(or pops) under acceleration. We drove it some more and it seemed great other than the popping. turn around and head back, i shift into 2nd gear and it falls on its face, dead. hard to start, not wanting to stay running when started. I got it running fairly smooth after a few tries(still popping, or missing?), but we make it home and re-adjusted the timing a bit. It runs fairly smooth, but you can hear popping in the exhaust.

I was so happy, now confused again.

Sorry to have so many problems!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:58 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like the timing is still off a bit. If you are having problems setting the ignition timing to spec, you might want to check whether the camshaft gear and crankshaft pulley are slightly out of sync at TDC (= timing belt slipped a tooth). To do this, you must remove the valve cover and upper timing belt cover.

Name:  picture_0800.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  95.4 KB

Old 04-13-2008, 06:02 AM
HCF Member

Okay. I went out to start it cold just now.. took a few extra turns but it started, and died 2-3 seconds later. restarted and got it to run at 2krpm, then fell off and died, now won't fire at all.

I may need to just take it to a shop.. i'm just trying to avoid expense since I just bought it...

Thanks for the help

Old 04-13-2008, 07:48 PM
HCF Member

Can the timing belt become lose, causing it to lose timing and not want to run, like it is currently doing?

Old 04-14-2008, 05:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes

Old 04-14-2008, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

Once the outside temp warmed up today to about 70.. the car starts up and runs without much problem. died once but started back and hasn't died since. we cleaned oil out of several wiring harness plugs under the hood. we set the timing again and its spot on. there is popping in the exhaust. not loud, but noticible. it also jerks when accelerating.

when the timing is set the way it was when I got the car, there is less popping in the exhaust, and no jerking while driving..all smooth.

??

Old 04-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: weswing04
when the timing is set the way it was when I got the car, there is less popping in the exhaust, and no jerking while driving..all smooth.
??
Not sure what you mean when you say "when the timing is set the way it was when I got the car". If the engine runs more smoothly when the ignition timing is not set to spec, then the timing belt is likely off by a tooth.

Quick Reply: New honda owner, few questions