Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New pads and rotors to fix wheel wobble due to warped rotors. Still wobbling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Default New pads and rotors to fix wheel wobble due to warped rotors. Still wobbling.

I've been doing my brakes for a long time, and usually whenever they get warped I'll take the rotors somewhere to be ground down on that lathe, or I'll just get new rotors if I'm in a hurry.

I was in a hurry a week ago when I did these, and after putting on new pads and new rotors, I'm still getting that warped rotor, wheel-shake when braking. Also feedback in the pedal.

Any idea why that might be? Every other time I've replaced the rotors it's normally smooth sailing. I just went out there and took the wheels off and double checked all the bolts to make sure nothing was loose, nothing was.

So anyway, here are symptoms:

1. Wheel wobble and bumpy feeling in the brake when braking, especially at highway speeds.

2. No wheel wobble or weird feeling unless I depress the brake pedal, so I'm 99% positive it's got something to do with the brakes.

Any ideas?

-Mark

Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If the brakes are dragging, they will overheat and warp. This can happen in the first few miles on a set of brand new rotors.

Also if you don't remove the anti-rust shipping coating from new rotors before installing, it will gum up the pads.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:39 PM

I don't think they got warped really, they look fine and it started doing this immediately upon putting them on the car.

Do you think the calipers might be bad?

Old 08-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The new rotors could be faulty if they never overheated. Bad calipers won't cause shaking directly, but they can stick and drag leading to warping. Drive without using the brakes much then get out and check the wheel temperatures.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:14 PM
HCF Member

don't overlook that there may be rust/corrosion build-up on the hub face (or debris on the rotor mating face). If the rotor doesn't sit flush when you install it it's possible to warp rotors that way.

(although I would bow to mk, who knows a HECK of a lot about Hondas!)

Old 08-29-2010, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

Most places recommend you have even new rotors turned, just to be sure.
There are also a bunch of bad rotors out there.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

I would def check the runout of the new rotors I have had bad ones in the past cut them and all was good

Old 09-03-2010, 03:19 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Did you bleed the brakes after swapping in the new parts? Also, when was the last time you flushed your brake fluid?

It sounds to me like you might have gotten a bum set of rotors, it happens. I had it happen to me the last time I did the fronts on my WRX. Definitely an annoying situation!