Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Newbie with check engine light problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Default Newbie with check engine light problem

Hi there. I'm from El Paso. I have a '01 Civic EX with less than 55,000 miles on it, and I have a persistent check engine light problem that I can't seem to get fixed. Tho' the forum header suggests this is fairly common, I did a search first and didn't come up with anything too helpful, so here 'tis. Please keep in mind that I'm a very non-handy gurrrrl and a car dummy who can't even change a tire, so please don't suggest I do things to the car myself.

1) CE light came on. Dealer (had to have the side airbag recall taken care of) said the code is P1519 (the Idle Air Control Valve), and "updated" the computer. They said that if the problem persisted I'd have to have the computer replaced to the tune of $1,000.

2) Screw that (er . . . is that considered too vulgar for this forum?) I took it to an independent mechanic who confirmed the diagnostic code, and suggested a remanufactured computer. So I had that put in.

3) Problem remained, so I had ANOTHER computer put in.

4) The CE light is still on. It's intermittant, with no discernable pattern. I'm at my wit's end and don't know what to do. I can take it back to the dealer and have a new 'puter put in ($1,000 on top of the $800 I've already spent), but don't know if that's a good move.

I'm shopping for a new car, but it's a shame. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Violet West; 05-27-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Wow three ECUs? That's crazy. You have been given very bad advice.

There's a bad IACV wire or the IACV itself is bad. The service manual has a specific set of tests to pinpoint the problem.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You should clean the IACV first, and check it for continuity. It could even simply be unplugged. The problem is almost never the computer itself. The various parts under the hood fail much more frequently.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 AM

that makes sense to me, but I can't find a mechanic willing to do that (and trust me, I can't do it myself). They all say, "it's the computer." Very frustrating!

Oh, and the mechanic did say he checked all along the IACV system for looseness, etc.

Last edited by Violet West; 05-27-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Violet West
that makes sense to me, but I can't find a mechanic willing to do that (and trust me, I can't do it myself). They all say, "it's the computer." Very frustrating!

Oh, and the mechanic did say he checked all along the IACV system for looseness, etc.
Three computers says it all. Find a mechanic who knows how to use a multimeter to check the IACV wires and the IACV. That's what it will take.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 AM

okay. I'll keep trying. (envisions an endless series of mechanical visits--sigh). I can't even sell the thing like this.

I appreciate your responses.