Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

NO Dash and Tail lights .. Fuse keep popping! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Default NO Dash and Tail lights .. Fuse keep popping! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Ok I've got a 95 Civic Hatchback and when I went to start it the other day I noticed that my dash lights were out so I checked the fuse and it was blown so I replaced the fuse and it was fine .. until the next morning then the same problem only now the fuse blows every time I turn on the headlight switch .. I've used a test light and the test light comes on as soon as i turn on the headlight switch so I'm pretty sure there's a short somewhere .. but I still haven't found it.

As far as I can tell the fuse is used for .. the dashlights, taillights, license lamp and the combination switch (I think that's the headlight switch??) .. I've tried disconnecting the taillights and the license lights from the harness and tugging on the wire harness and still no luck .. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to check if the headlight switch itself was bad and causing the fuse to blow or if anyone else has had this sort of problem .. sorry if this is a repost .. Thanks

Old 02-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you have an aftermarket radio, check for shorts in the wires behind the radio. The lighting circuit goes to the stock radio. One of the wires, which is probably not used now, is powered from that fuse.

Also the front corner lights are on the circuit with the tail lights. Could have a short up front.

A bad switch will not cause the fuse to blow. If the switch were bad, the lights simply would not come on, but no power would be reaching the fuse either.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 AM

Thanks I'll check the front lights and report back ..

Old 02-16-2009, 09:47 AM

I've taken out the stereo cause I thought about that and I don't see any wires touching metal in there

Old 02-16-2009, 10:02 AM

I've disconnected the connectors from the frontlights and checked the wires all looks good .. anything else I can try? .. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:35 AM
HCF Member

Any other electrical mods? Alarm, amp Etc...?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 AM

No I haven't done any other mods to it .. But I just rechecked and disconnected everything that goes to the fuse and the test light went out .. I've traced it back to the hatch .. As soon as I plug in the right or left or license connector the test light comes on .. that means it's a bulb or socket right? .. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You need to take all the bulbs out before testing that way. Normal conduction through a bulb will also light up the test light and make you think there's a short.

On a hatch, the wires can get damaged where they flex every time you open and close the hatch. That usually causes an open circuit not a short though. And it sounds like you're testing after that point anyway.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:19 AM

ok I've reconnected the connectors and removed all the bulbs and the test light is out but as soon as I put a bulb in the test light goes on .. One of the sockets is really rusted out .. could that be causing it? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:28 PM

Ok now I'm confused even more than I was .. I tried to connect the front lights and the test light is on again .. the bulbs are still removed from the tail lights .. mk you said that "Normal conduction through a bulb will also light up the test light " is this what is happening now? .. should I try to put a new fuse in and see if it pops? .. Thanks!

Quick Reply: NO Dash and Tail lights .. Fuse keep popping! PLEASE HELP!!!!!