Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No fuel pump prime, possible bad ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Default No fuel pump prime, possible bad ecu?

Hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction with the problems I'm having. I have a 92 civic hatchback. When I first got it on the road it had what I thought was a bad main relay. It wouldnt kick the fuel pump on when I keyed the ignition on. I replaced it and it didnt solve the issue and I had someone say my main caps on my ecu were bad. I had a spare one laying around and that seemed to solve the issue for a little while. About 3 months later(now) I am having this same issue. I have made sure my ecu thermostat ground is good and clean, I have checked both ecu and fuel pump fuzes, jumped sockets 5 and 7 to make the fuel pump come on, and sockets 1 and 7, both made the fuel pump come on. I have done a continuity text with the relay which came back fine. The relay will click once, not twice, and the CEL does NOT come on all. Ive tried taking the white connector off the ignition column to try and see if my connections were bad. Only thing I could think of is a faulty ecu but I tryied plugging a friends obd1 ecu to see if it would at least kick the relay so my fuel pump would prime. It Didnt work. I am at complete loss here and this is my only means of travel. I need someone else's input. Could it be ignition? Ecu? Please let me know.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jacobeh2
Hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction with the problems I'm having. I have a 92 civic hatchback. When I first got it on the road it had what I thought was a bad main relay. It wouldnt kick the fuel pump on when I keyed the ignition on. I replaced it and it didnt solve the issue and I had someone say my main caps on my ecu were bad. I had a spare one laying around and that seemed to solve the issue for a little while. About 3 months later(now) I am having this same issue. I have made sure my ecu thermostat ground is good and clean, I have checked both ecu and fuel pump fuzes, jumped sockets 5 and 7 to make the fuel pump come on, and sockets 1 and 7, both made the fuel pump come on. I have done a continuity text with the relay which came back fine. The relay will click once, not twice, and the CEL does NOT come on all. Ive tried taking the white connector off the ignition column to try and see if my connections were bad. Only thing I could think of is a faulty ecu but I tryied plugging a friends obd1 ecu to see if it would at least kick the relay so my fuel pump would prime. It Didnt work. I am at complete loss here and this is my only means of travel. I need someone else's input. Could it be ignition? Ecu? Please let me know.
UPDATE: Just plugged my ecu into a friends 93 civic and main relay kicked and fuel pump ran. The ecu itself isnt the issue.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do the oil and battery lights come on when you turn the key on? If not, it's something with the ignition switch or the car fuses. They're not connected to the ECU at all.

If they do come on, pull up a diagram and check that all the power leads from the car to the ECU have power, and all the grounds are grounded.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 PM

The only light that doesnt come on is the ecu. The relay clicks once when the key is turned to on(II)Which I'm guessing is injectors and sensors and such, but no pump and no power to the fuel pump plug and also no second "shutoff" click after 2 seconds. So can I find this in like a Haynes manual or is there a troubleshooting walkthrough somewhere online for this?

Old 10-17-2023, 06:09 PM

What ended up being the issue?