Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No knowledge of engine swap. Issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Default No knowledge of engine swap. Issues.....

My son has a 2000 EX Automatic, that is hesitating after 5500 RPM. You can't pass someone if you have to go over 5500 RPM to do it.

Almost as if it was redlineing at that RPM.

I take it to an Indy Honda shop and after awhile he calls and tells me that the car should have a VTECH Engine but it doesn't, that it was replaced with a normal one.

The CPU is reading that it should crank up to another level, but the engine is unable to, causing it to bog down to protect itself from over revving and causing damage.

Can anything be done to make it behave like a normal, non VTECH engine? The mechanic says the dash check engine light was disabled to hide the issue.

I was thinking perhaps changing the CPU and harness to a regular EX, but have no clue as to the difficulty or effectiveness of that job.

Any help is always appreciated.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Default RE: VTECH engine replaced with a non-VTECH

Sorry for posting on the general forum first, I tried to delete it but was unable to.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:31 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: **** engine replaced with a non-****

maybe getting a non vtec ecu would help, sounds like they changed the motor to anon vtec motor, and left thevtec ecu, i maybe wrong tho, but a good possibilty

Old 05-15-2008, 03:48 AM

That's what I'm hopiing to do, although I have no idea how to go about getting the right one and if the plugs would be the same.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 AM
HCF Member

im not sure what the ecu code is for the non vtec on that model, u can go to a junkyard and ask for the ecu for themodel of the car, but make sure u ask for a non vtec ecu... obd2 i think ..... 6th gen gurus, u guys need to chime in here, lol sorry man, i dont know much about 6th gen that much...i have 5th gens

Old 05-18-2008, 11:12 PM
HCF Member

The 2000 EX has a D16Y8 SOHC VTEC motor. If a non-VTEC motor was installed in it's place, and the ECU wasn't changed, that would explain the problem since VTEC kicks in on the D16Y8 at 5500RPM. Before looking for an ECU, you will have to find out exactly what motor you DO have. Look on the block for the engine ID tag (located on the passenger front-side of the engine where the trans connects). Once you know what motor you have you can then get the correct ECU for it. You will have to get an ECU from an Automatic, not a standard shift. Probably from an LX, CX, or DX. That really sucks that you ended up with a slower engine than what came stock in the EX.

All CX, DX, Value Package (VP), and LX models used the D16Y7SOHC non-VTEC. The HX had the D16Y5 SOHC VTEC-E and the EX had the D16Y8SOHC VTEC. The Si used the B16A2DOHC VTEC. - wikipedia