Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

O2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Default RE: O2?

Ok, so... I guess I didn't fix it PERMANANTLY... of course, due to the circumstances, I just took the IAC off... and sprayed it... I didn't take it off the car... looks like I have to do it again (one last time taking it all the way out... and spraying the heck out of it.. ) before I have to replace it (don't really want to spend $180 on a replacement)... I got the code again... checked it... 14...

Old 09-15-2006, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

i get the code - mine is not worth the 190 either. but yours would be.
the following is a cut copy and paste from one of my posts.
it is for troubleshooting the iacv.
you should find something similar for 2000.
to wit:

i dont want to buy 1 either - bout 190 at autozone.

the following is for an 84 - 91.
Ignition off
1) measure resistance between the terminals. should be 8 to 15 ohms
2) should not be continuity to ground on each terminal.
3) turn ignition ON, measure voltage on the wiring harness. if there is voltage, the ecu may be faulty.
4) if no voltage, measue the voltage between the black/yellow (+) and ground. (note - the blue/yellow wire is the negative (-) wire.)
5) if no voltage, look to repair the circuit in the black/yellow wire between the eavc (iavc as we have called it) and the #14 fuse.

hope that it is the same for 92. mine passed all the above tests.
if yours does also, post back because i have more toubleshooting techniques that i found. (just short on time).
Hope this helps

correction to the above - applies to 1988 and later (Haynes was printed for up to 1991).

And after this, i found additional troubleshooting for the eacv that i think may apply to 2000.
you can look the above over and see what the appicaible one is for yours.
if you do this and need more troubleshooting, let me know.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:16 PM

Well, I did it again... perhaps 2nd time is a charm? Now, I'm curious... when I took the IAC off this time... I thought it was vacuum lines that were on the bottom of the sensor... but there's anti-freeze? I'm guessing that's to tell the sensor when it's warm enough? After I did it this time... it idles nicely... let's see if it lasts...

Old 09-16-2006, 09:36 PM
HCF Member

cool !

yes, water (antifreeze) runs thru it.

dont recall if i did mine twice or not. but i know i left it soak over night - did not help.
i got some more troubleshooting techniques - but it involves vacuum and i do not have a vacuum pump. will see.