Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

O2 Sensor wires, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 AM
HCF Member
Default O2 Sensor wires, Need Help!

2000 Honda Civic DX Auto.

Bought NEW O2 Sensor from Pepboys Bosch Universal!

New O2 Sensor wire colors
Grey
Blk
Wht
Wht

Old O2 Sensor wire Colors
Grn
Wht
Blk - wht strip
Blk - yellow strip

The paper only tells you how to connect 3 wires
Grey to Green, Black to White and white to Black....so which white to which black?

Also do I have to connect to a computer to remove the "check engine" light or can I just remove the under the hood fuse 7.5amps for 4 mins?

Thanks

Old 06-30-2011, 03:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It doesn't matter. The two white wires are the heater, they're interchangeable.

Function Old sensor New sensor
Sensor out White Black
Sensor GND Green Grey
Heater circuit Black White

Removing the fuse or disconnecting the battery will clear all codes. The ECU will need to recalibrate itself after that, the engine may not idle properly when first started.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:56 AM
HCF Member

Hey Thanks for the info...
I removed the fuse and after 5 mins replaced it. ..The light came back on after 5-10 seconds! Any suggestions?

Old 09-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Default are you able to resolve this?

Originally Posted by aztecaa
Hey Thanks for the info...
I removed the fuse and after 5 mins replaced it. ..The light came back on after 5-10 seconds! Any suggestions?
Could you please let me know if you are able to solve this? I am having same issue. Code is P0135. I am looking for more details like how to test sensor is bad or wiring or fuse or something else?

Old 09-30-2011, 05:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Unplug sensor, check heater ohms (two black or white wires). Should be 10 to 40 I think. Open circuit or faults to ground means the sensor is bad. Do this with the sensor COLD, measuring ohms on a hot sensor can damage it. If sensor checks OK plug back in turn key on and check that the car is supplying battery voltage to the heater circuit. One heater lead gets battery voltage all the time the key is on and the other one is selectively grounded by the ECU. If you don't have any voltage, check the car wiring.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:09 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Unplug sensor, check heater ohms (two black or white wires). Should be 10 to 40 I think. Open circuit or faults to ground means the sensor is bad. Do this with the sensor COLD, measuring ohms on a hot sensor can damage it. If sensor checks OK plug back in turn key on and check that the car is supplying battery voltage to the heater circuit. One heater lead gets battery voltage all the time the key is on and the other one is selectively grounded by the ECU. If you don't have any voltage, check the car wiring.
I checked with key on and it is supplying voltage to the O2Sensor.
I am not quite sure how to check the ohms. The new sensor has TWO white wires. When I put meter leads negative on one white and positive on the other white it beeps telling me that they are not open, closed circuit reading 4.5. Not sure I checked it correctly.

I also checked the bottom one and it reads the same pretty much. What next and thanks for the help!

Last edited by aztecaa; 10-01-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:37 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs up UPDATE Oct 17, 2013 DO NOT BUY BOSCH

Okay Guys, I finally got the O2 Sensor issue fixed.
The O2 Sensor I bought from pepboys which was Bosch does not work with my Honda Civic. I read some where that they do not work.
So a friend who swapped out his engine gave me his old O2 Sensor and i cleaned it with Carb Spray and installed it.
I pulled the 7.5 Fuse in the Engine compartment, waited at least 10 mins before putting back in the fuse.
I started the engine and no more "check engine light"

I hope this helps others in my situation!
I wonder if i will get better gas mileage?